From: Gib Bogle on
MRAB wrote:
> W. eWatson wrote:
>> Last night I copied a program from folder A to folder B. It inspects
>> the contents of files in a folder. When I ran it in B, it gave the
>> results for A! Out of frustration I changed the name in A, and fired
>> up the program in B. Win7 went into search mode for the file. I looked
>> at properties for the B program, and it was clearly pointing to folder A.
>>
> Sounds like you didn't copy it but made a shortcut to it instead.

Windows 7 has symbolic links?
From: John Bokma on
Gib Bogle <g.bogle(a)auckland.no.spam.ac.nz> writes:

> MRAB wrote:
>> W. eWatson wrote:
>>> Last night I copied a program from folder A to folder B. It
>>> inspects the contents of files in a folder. When I ran it in B, it
>>> gave the results for A! Out of frustration I changed the name in A,
>>> and fired up the program in B. Win7 went into search mode for the
>>> file. I looked at properties for the B program, and it was clearly
>>> pointing to folder A.
>>>
>> Sounds like you didn't copy it but made a shortcut to it instead.
>
> Windows 7 has symbolic links?

Symbolic links are designed to aid in migration and application
compatibility with UNIX operating systems. Microsoft has implemented
its symbolic links to function just like UNIX links.

:

Symbolic links are available in NTFS starting with Windows Vista.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365680(VS.85).aspx

--
John Bokma j3b

From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-02-22, John Bokma <john(a)castleamber.com> wrote:
> Gib Bogle <g.bogle(a)auckland.no.spam.ac.nz> writes:
>
>> MRAB wrote:
>>>>
>>> Sounds like you didn't copy it but made a shortcut to it instead.
>>
>> Windows 7 has symbolic links?
>
> Symbolic links are designed to aid in migration and application
> compatibility with UNIX operating systems. Microsoft has implemented
> its symbolic links to function just like UNIX links.

So symbolic links on W7 function like Unix (hard) links
rather than Unix _symbolic_ links??

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Is this sexual
at intercourse yet?? Is it,
From: John Bokma on
Grant Edwards <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> writes:

> On 2010-02-22, John Bokma <john(a)castleamber.com> wrote:
>> Gib Bogle <g.bogle(a)auckland.no.spam.ac.nz> writes:

>>> Windows 7 has symbolic links?
>>
>> Symbolic links are designed to aid in migration and application
>> compatibility with UNIX operating systems. Microsoft has implemented
>> its symbolic links to function just like UNIX links.
>
> So symbolic links on W7 function like Unix (hard) links
> rather than Unix _symbolic_ links??

Which leads you to this conclusion?

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365006(VS.85).aspx

There are three types of file links supported in the NTFS file
system: hard links, junctions, and symbolic links. This topic is an
overview of hard links and junctions. For information about symbolic
links, see Creating Symbolic Links.

Creating Symbolic Links:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363878(VS.85).aspx

--
John Bokma j3b

From: Gib Bogle on
John Bokma wrote:
> Gib Bogle <g.bogle(a)auckland.no.spam.ac.nz> writes:
>
>> MRAB wrote:
>>>>
>>> Sounds like you didn't copy it but made a shortcut to it instead.
>> Windows 7 has symbolic links?
>
> Symbolic links are designed to aid in migration and application
> compatibility with UNIX operating systems. Microsoft has implemented
> its symbolic links to function just like UNIX links.
>
> :
>
> Symbolic links are available in NTFS starting with Windows Vista.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365680(VS.85).aspx

That explains my ignorance of this (excellent) development. I'm still using W2K
and XP.