From: W. eWatson on
On 2/22/2010 6:39 PM, David Robinow wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:25 PM, W. eWatson<wolftracks(a)invalid.com> wrote:
>> How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the program in
>> another folder, and not link to an ancestor.
> Ask in an appropriate forum. I'm not sure where that is but you might
> try http://www.sevenforums.com/
Not in my NG list.

If the way this is going is that it occurs on W7, not just in my case,
then it will impact many Python users.
From: Alf P. Steinbach on
* W. eWatson:
> So what's the bottom line? This link notion is completely at odds with
> XP,

Well, Windows NT has always had *hardlinks*. <g>

I found it a bit baffling that that functionality is documented as not
implemented for Windows in the Python standard library.

But OK, it was non-trivial to do prior to Windows 2000; you had to sort of hack
it using the backup APIs since the functionality was not exposed through the
ordinary file APIs.

> and produces what I would call something of a mess to the unwary
> Python/W7 user. Is there a simple solution?
>
> How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the program
> in another folder, and not link to an ancestor.

Copy and paste.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf
From: W. eWatson on
On 2/22/2010 8:50 PM, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
> * W. eWatson:
>> So what's the bottom line? This link notion is completely at odds with
>> XP,
>
> Well, Windows NT has always had *hardlinks*. <g>
>
> I found it a bit baffling that that functionality is documented as not
> implemented for Windows in the Python standard library.
>
> But OK, it was non-trivial to do prior to Windows 2000; you had to sort
> of hack it using the backup APIs since the functionality was not exposed
> through the ordinary file APIs.
>

>> and produces what I would call something of a mess to the unwary
>> Python/W7 user. Is there a simple solution?
>>
>> How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the program
>> in another folder, and not link to an ancestor.
>
> Copy and paste.
>

> Cheers & hth.,
>
> - Alf
I thought that's what I did. Is there some other way?
From: W. eWatson on
On 2/22/2010 8:50 PM, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
> * W. eWatson:
>> So what's the bottom line? This link notion is completely at odds with
>> XP,
>
> Well, Windows NT has always had *hardlinks*. <g>
>
> I found it a bit baffling that that functionality is documented as not
> implemented for Windows in the Python standard library.
>
> But OK, it was non-trivial to do prior to Windows 2000; you had to sort
> of hack it using the backup APIs since the functionality was not exposed
> through the ordinary file APIs.
>

>> and produces what I would call something of a mess to the unwary
>> Python/W7 user. Is there a simple solution?
>>
>> How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the program
>> in another folder, and not link to an ancestor.
>
> Copy and paste.
>

> Cheers & hth.,
>
> - Alf
Alf? Hello,Norway. My wife is Norwegian and that was her father's name.

I thought that's what I did. Is there some other way?

Tusin Tak (That's about the size of my vocabulary and spelling ability!
1000 thanks. What is the correct spelling?)
From: Alf P. Steinbach on
* W. eWatson:
> On 2/22/2010 8:50 PM, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
>> * W. eWatson:
>>> So what's the bottom line? This link notion is completely at odds with
>>> XP,
>>
>> Well, Windows NT has always had *hardlinks*. <g>
>>
>> I found it a bit baffling that that functionality is documented as not
>> implemented for Windows in the Python standard library.
>>
>> But OK, it was non-trivial to do prior to Windows 2000; you had to sort
>> of hack it using the backup APIs since the functionality was not exposed
>> through the ordinary file APIs.
>>

>>> and produces what I would call something of a mess to the unwary
>>> Python/W7 user. Is there a simple solution?
>>>
>>> How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the program
>>> in another folder, and not link to an ancestor.
>>
>> Copy and paste.
>>

>> Cheers & hth.,
>>
>> - Alf
> Alf? Hello,Norway. My wife is Norwegian and that was her father's name.
>
> I thought that's what I did. Is there some other way?

(A)
For using Explorer, see

<url: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Copy-and-paste-a-file>

and in particular look at the tips at the bottom.

(B)
To get absolute control you can use the command interpreter. I don't have
Windows7 but googling yielded the following URL:

<url: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/947-command-prompt.html>

The "copy" command there copies files.

> Tusin Tak (That's about the size of my vocabulary and spelling ability!
> 1000 thanks. What is the correct spelling?)

That's "tusen takk".

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf