From: Jerry Hill on
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:25 PM, W. eWatson <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> So what's the bottom line? This link notion is completely at odds with XP,
> and produces what I would call something of a mess to the unwary Python/W7
> user. Is there a simple solution?

I know people went off on a tangent talking about symbolic links and
hard links, but it is extremely unlikely that you created something
like that by accident. Windows just doesn't create those without you
doing quite a bit of extra work. It certainly doesn't create them
when you drag & drop files around through the normal interface.

> How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the  program in
> another folder, and not link to an ancestor.

You need to dig into the technical details of what's happening on your
hard drive. You say you "copied a program from folder A to folder B".
Can you describe, exactly, what steps you took? What was the file
name of the program? Was it just one file, or a directory, or several
files? What was the path to directory A? What is the the path to
directory B? When you open a CMD window and do a dir of each
directory, what exactly do you see?

You've given a pretty non-technical description of the problem you're
experiencing. If you want more than wild speculation, you'll need to
give more specifics for people to help you with.

My wild guess: you held down control and shift while copying your
program. That's the keyboard command to create a shortcut instead of
moving or copying a file.

--
Jerry
From: chris grebeldinger on
Have you tried opening file explorer in administrative mode before
performing the copy? I think if there isn't sufficient permissions,
it does something weird like that.
From: Gib Bogle on
chris grebeldinger wrote:
> Have you tried opening file explorer in administrative mode before
> performing the copy? I think if there isn't sufficient permissions,
> it does something weird like that.

No
From: Michel Claveau - MVP on
Hi!

> Symbolic links are available in NTFS starting with Windows Vista.

No.
Hardlink come with NTFS, and already exists in W2K (and NT with specifics utilities).

@-salutations
--
Michel Claveau

From: buggsy2 on
"W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> writes:

> I noted that this search box has
> some sort of filter associated with it. Possibly, in my early stages
> of learning to navigate in Win7, I accidentally set the filter.
>
> Comments?

FYI, the only truly reliable and powerful file search utility I've found
for Windows is Agent Ransack (http://download.mythicsoft.com/agentran.exe)