From: Nigel Lord on

I've just bought a new Mac Mini as a replacement for my G5 PowerPC -
primarily to allow me to upgrade to Adobe CS5. I thought it wise to
max out the (SODIMM) RAM to 8GB and having picked myself up off the
floor after discovering Apple's price for memory, spent a couple of
hours trawling the internet for something more affordable. One of the
sellers I found - KOMPBAY - was advertising 2 x 4GB at around �160 - at
least �50 cheaper than anyone else - so I placed my order.

Prior to installing the RAM, I was plagued with crashes and other
problems which I put down to running Photoshop and other apps with only
2GB of memory. However, now with 8GB memory, I'm still suffering
unexplained crashes - even the odd kernel panic - which I am at a loss
to explain, given that the machine is so new.

I've even had this weird incident where the screen turns blue - the Mac
doesn't audibly re-start - but when it comes back on screen, all the
apps have quit and it looks like it has re-started.

So my question is... can the quality of RAM affect a Mac in this way? I
suspect the kernel panic is RAM-based, but what about applications
quitting for no apparent reason? Is there any way that you can test the
integrity of your RAM? And what troubleshooting app would anyone
recommend to identify potential software problems?

OK... I know that's three questions, rather than one - but if anyone
could shed any light, I'd be most grateful....

Nige
From: Conor on
On 17/07/2010 19:17, Nigel Lord wrote:

> So my question is... can the quality of RAM affect a Mac in this way?

Cheap quality RAM isn't guarantee'd to be compatible and sometimes
you're lucky if it even works at all with a laptop or motherboard.

Stick to Crucial if you're buying third party and buy from them direct -
that way you get the no quibble compatible guarantee and lifetime
guarantee too.

--
Conor www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk
From: Jim on
Conor <conor(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> Stick to Crucial if you're buying third party and buy from them direct -
> that way you get the no quibble compatible guarantee and lifetime
> guarantee too.

Seconded. Bought from them a few times now, never had a problem.

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Sara Merriman on
In article <1jlshqz.19316qw12ab20lN%jim(a)magrathea.plus.com>,
jim(a)magrathea.plus.com (Jim) wrote:

> Conor <conor(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Stick to Crucial if you're buying third party and buy from them direct -
> > that way you get the no quibble compatible guarantee and lifetime
> > guarantee too.
>
> Seconded. Bought from them a few times now, never had a problem.

Thirded - I use them all the time at work.

--
Sara

Cuddler of rats, cats and husband
From: Jon B on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> Conor <conor(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Stick to Crucial if you're buying third party and buy from them direct -
> > that way you get the no quibble compatible guarantee and lifetime
> > guarantee too.
>
> Seconded. Bought from them a few times now, never had a problem.

and when I have, the aftercare and been quick and quibble free.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
 |  Next  |  Last