From: SteveH on
Been a bit bored this afternoon, with no energy to do anything after a
70-ish hour week at work last week.

So I got around to browsing iBooks.

There's one particular book I want to read (Start the Car - The World
According to Bumble by ex-cricketer David Lloyd).

Price at Amazon - �9.49.

iTunes store audio book - �7.95

Kindle Store - �7.16

iBooks - �13.99

If Apple want to make a success of the iBooks store, it looks like
they'll need to sort out their pricing structure.

Even the Kindle store doesn't really make it cheap enough to tempt me,
when a physical hardback is only a small amount more.

Seems the digital book market is being afflicted by the same issues as
the digital magazine market - there's no real price incentive to trade
printed for electronic media.

(So far, I've only found a single digital substitute for a printed
magazine that's worth buying - my subscription to Retro Cars magazine is
due next month - the digital version is a �12 saving over printed media,
so I may well go for that)

--
SteveH
From: Martin S Taylor on
SteveH wrote
> There's one particular book I want to read (Start the Car - The World
> According to Bumble by ex-cricketer David Lloyd).
>
> Price at Amazon - �9.49.
>
> iTunes store audio book - �7.95
>
> Kindle Store - �7.16
>
> iBooks - �13.99
>
> If Apple want to make a success of the iBooks store, it looks like
> they'll need to sort out their pricing structure.

In a year or so, one of two things will have happened.

a) electronic books will have dropped in price

b) electronic books will no longer be available because 'we tried it, but no
one liked them'.

MST

From: J. J. Lodder on
Martin S Taylor <mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:

> SteveH wrote
> > There's one particular book I want to read (Start the Car - The World
> > According to Bumble by ex-cricketer David Lloyd).
> >
> > Price at Amazon - �9.49.
> >
> > iTunes store audio book - �7.95
> >
> > Kindle Store - �7.16
> >
> > iBooks - �13.99
> >
> > If Apple want to make a success of the iBooks store, it looks like
> > they'll need to sort out their pricing structure.
>
> In a year or so, one of two things will have happened.
>
> a) electronic books will have dropped in price
>
> b) electronic books will no longer be available because 'we tried it, but no
> one liked them'.

c) We'll sue everybody who downloaded them,

Jan
From: David Kennedy on
SteveH wrote:

> Seems the digital book market is being afflicted by the same issues as
> the digital magazine market - there's no real price incentive to trade
> printed for electronic media.

Seems to be the same attitude that the manufacturers had when CDs first
appeared; "grab the punter by the wallet an squeeze, surely he'll come
back for more."

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 21:17:41 +0100, David Kennedy
<davidkennedy(a)nospamherethankyou.invalid> wrote:

>SteveH wrote:
>>
>> Seems the digital book market is being afflicted by the same issues as
>> the digital magazine market - there's no real price incentive to trade
>> printed for electronic media.
>>

>Seems to be the same attitude that the manufacturers had when CDs first
>appeared; "grab the punter by the wallet an squeeze, surely he'll come
>back for more."

Charlie Stross, currently one of my favourite authors and also a
techie and gadget fan, has interesting things to say about the
economics of publishing ebooks.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2010/05/cmap-9-ebooks.html

Cheers - Jaimie
--
....most SF writers are small blokes; they spent a lot of time grubbing
around on the floor for old SF mags, not stretching up to the top shelf