From: Dr Geoff Hone on
On 17 Jul 2010 16:47:25 GMT, zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>I've been asked to set up a mailing list (where all recipients can post)
>for a dozen non-techies. I'm after something that is easy to subscribe
>and unsubscribe to, and doesn't require setting up new email addresses
>or accounts.
>
>Is the current consensus Google Groups, Yahoo Groups, or something else?

Take a look at the Australian (I think) Groupbox site.
Easy to use, seems pretty good.
Geoff
From: zoara on
Dr Geoff Hone <gnhone(a)globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2010 16:47:25 GMT, zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> I've been asked to set up a mailing list (where all recipients can
> > post)
>> for a dozen non-techies. I'm after something that is easy to
> > subscribe
>> and unsubscribe to, and doesn't require setting up new email
> > addresses
>> or accounts.
>>
>> Is the current consensus Google Groups, Yahoo Groups, or something
> > else?
>
> Take a look at the Australian (I think) Groupbox site.
> Easy to use, seems pretty good.

Thanks.

This, as well as Yahoo Groups and Google Groups, requires you to create
an account. That's going to put off a few people who will be using the
list.

Plus I can't actually get GroupBox to allow any of my other email
addresses to sign up to a group I created. I think it might be broken...

Is there anything that simply lets me set something up so people can
just email the list address and it sends me a request to authorise them,
then they can start posting? Isn't there some standard mailing list
software that's been going since forever? I know I've signed up for
these sorts of lists but can't remember what or how.

Even the relatively simple signup of groupbox (assuming I can get it to
work) will mean some of these people will struggle.

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: Jack Campin - bogus address on
> Is there anything that simply lets me set something up so people can
> just email the list address and it sends me a request to authorise them,
> then they can start posting? Isn't there some standard mailing list
> software that's been going since forever? I know I've signed up for
> these sorts of lists but can't remember what or how.

Majordomo?

mobile: 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin
From: Andrew Kemp on
zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> writes:

> Is there anything that simply lets me set something up so people can
> just email the list address and it sends me a request to authorise them,
> then they can start posting? Isn't there some standard mailing list
> software that's been going since forever? I know I've signed up for
> these sorts of lists but can't remember what or how.

Most (possibly all) of the lists that I subscribe to use Mailman:

<http://www.list.org/>

Users can subscribe to lists using either a web interface, or by sending
an e-mail message:

<http://www.list.org/mailman-member/node13.html>

There's a list of hosting services here, if you don't want to run the
software yourself:

<http://wiki.list.org/display/COM/Mailman+hosting+services>

--
Drew
From: Steve Hodgson on
On 2010-07-19 16:22:13 +0100, zoara said:

> Google Groups, requires you to create
> an account. That's going to put off a few people who will be using the
> list.

I think Google Groups will let you access an email mailing list without
a Google account. That's needed when you wish to browse the web archive
or save files.

You can also set-up preferences for digest emails when joining and
unsubscribe via email. It does need managers though.
--
Cheers,

Steve

The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: More 'Angry Birds'
Next: iBooks