From: Bill Anderson on
Bill Anderson wrote:

> I'm going on vacation this Saturday and I'm not really interested in
> tearing down the computer until I get back in a couple of weeks. So
> each day I just push the power button again and again until I finally
> get a beep. Worked on the third try this afternoon.
>
> And once it's running it's just a fantastic system. No problems at all.
>
> Once it's running.

Some around here may recall I keep returning to discuss the problem I'm
having with my P5K Deluxe system. I'd start the system, the fans would
power up, but there'd be no beep -- no post. Power down, power up -- no
post. Again. Again. Beep -- and off I'd go.

It's an intermittent problem and I've variously suspected the power
supply (PC Power and Cooling), the memory (Crucial Ballistix), and the
motherboard itself. I even replaced the motherboard at one point,
moving all components including processor to a brand new P5Q. That was
when I discovered one of my Ballistix memory sticks had gone bad. The
computer wouldn't boot at all if it was installed. So I removed it and
the computer started and I figured I'd found the problem, so to avoid
re-installing four operating systems along with associated applications,
I just put everything back on the P5K. And then the problems started again.

For a few weeks I fussed with it, starting, stopping, over and over
again every time I wanted to start the computer. Then, as indicated
above, I went off to Italy for a couple of weeks in late Feb, early March.

When I returned I figured I'd spend some time putting everything on the
P5Q and testing every other component one at a time until I found the
culprit. But when I started the computer the first time after being
away a couple of weeks, it posted on only the second try. Amazing!

The next day it posted on the second try again. And and lo, upon the
third day a miracle occurred. It started on the first try and it's been
starting on the first try every day since about March 12.

The only thing that has changed -- the only thing I can figure out,
anyway -- is that the ambient temperature in my condo has risen. I like
a cool house in winter and believe it or not I don't use heat. The
condos surrounding me keep my place plenty comfortable for me all winter
long. Sure, I have to wear warm clothes and a full sweatsuit to bed and
maybe a double pair of socks occasionally, but I like it that way. It
does mean, though, that in winter my computer is plenty cool when it
hasn't been running. Not frozen -- just cool. Maybe somewhere in the
low 60s or even high 50s F.

And now the room is noticeably warmer in the mornings and in the
afternoons when I come home. And now the computer starts first time,
every time.

I still don't know what's going on, but I'm happy enough now. I think
if it doesn't start acting up again until next December, I'll ask Santa
to help me build a brand new system.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog