From: Benjamin Gawert on
* Barry Watzman:
> Re: "I currently have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage II+ PCI video card
> with 4 Meg memory, and I think I need to upgrade it"
>
> A gross understatement; that card is more than a decade old, it's truly
> a fossil.
>
> The card is not compliant with any modern standards. It's from the era
> of 486 and very early Pentium [Pentium ONE] PCs.

Not really. While the Rage II series is old, it is really not *that*
old. The Rage II is from end of 1996, and at that time 486 haven't been
sold new any more for several years (and the very early Pentium PCs you
mentioned came out 3 years before the Rage II was announced). PCs of
these days were computers with Pentium 166-200MHz (the upper range of
the Pentium series) and Pentium Pro.

And it does support Direct3D and OpenGL (in older versions, though),
which if I remember right are both "modern standards".

> You desperately need a new video card. What I'm wondering is if what
> you really need is a new computer.

That is probably right, though.

Benjamin
From: mm on
On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 16:25:05 -0500, Barry Watzman
<WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:

>The real question here that you have not addressed is the COMPUTER.
>
>You may be dealing with a computer that is old that, as a practical
>matter, you can't get a modern video card.
>
>You also need to concern yourself with what video card motherboard
>options you have. You should use PCI only as a last resort. If you
>have AGP you should use that, if you have PCI Express (I'm 99% sure you
>don't) you should use that:

It has AGP. YOu're right it doesn't have pci-express.

>PCI (oldest and worst)
>AGP
>PCI Express (newest and best)
>
>BTW, if you are interested, I have a brand new, still shrink wrapped ATI
>Radeon 7000 "Dual Display Edition" video card for $15 + shipping. It's

It sounds very interesting.

How much memory does it have? Does it work with win98SE?

>not a truly modern card but it's cheap and new and very reasonable for
>almost all non-gaming applications. It has VGA Output, DVI output
>(which can be converted to HDMI with an adapter, OR to a SECOND,
>INDEPENDENT VGA output) and TV output (both composite and S-Video).

You're sure it has S-Video? I had already been looking at ebay ads,
for ATI Radeon 7000 and didn't see any that had all of those you list:
composite (yellow RCA), S-video, DVI, and VGA. Didn't see any that
had S-video.

(I need VGA for my monitor, and I need S-video, because there is no
HDMI or DVI jack on the DVDR, and I read that S-video, though not as
good as YPgPr (which is not an option here anyhow) is better than
composite. Right? Plus they don't sell cables that are 100 feet long
for DVI, which might mean it's a bad idea, and as to connecting two
50-foot cables, why make things compllicate?)

Thanks.

>It's a decent card for an older AGP machine.

That's me. :)
From: Craig Coope on
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 00:04:46 -0500, mm <NOPSAMmm2005(a)bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>I'd appreciate some help on video cards.
>
>I currently have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage II+ PCI video card with 4
>Meg memory,

I stopped reading at this and died a little inside.

:op

--
The Zero ST
From: GMAN on
In article <4vbdj516fpep27vief98vutk1enjp9qshq(a)4ax.com>, Craig Coope <coope1999(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 00:04:46 -0500, mm <NOPSAMmm2005(a)bigfoot.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I'd appreciate some help on video cards.
>>
>>I currently have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage II+ PCI video card with 4
>>Meg memory,
>

>I stopped reading at this and died a little inside.
>
>:op

At one time, that card was top of the line LOL!!!!
From: mm on
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 00:53:25 +0000, Craig Coope
<coope1999(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 00:04:46 -0500, mm <NOPSAMmm2005(a)bigfoot.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I'd appreciate some help on video cards.
>>
>>I currently have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage II+ PCI video card with 4
>>Meg memory,
>

>I stopped reading at this and died a little inside.

Come'on. Don't be silly. Everything works fine except google earth.

And I never wanted to use google earth until last week.

Maybe if I played video games this card wouldnt' have been enough, but
I don't.