From: mm on
I'd appreciate some help on video cards.

I currently have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage II+ PCI video card with 4
Meg memory, and I think I need to upgrade it but I'd like to
understand my computer and I'd like to understand why.

I've installed Google Earth under WinXP SP3, and I ran DXDiag.exe and
under the display page, it says that Direct3D Acceleration is not
available. Yet "3D" appears in the name of the card. Isn't that what
Google Earth wants? What am I missing?

My driver is dated 8/17/2001, and I know there is a newer one but a
lot of hunting about 6 months ago led me to download sites that listed
the newer one, but then they either couldn't find their own link or
they pointed me back to the ATI website, which doesn't have it.

That's still happening. Even one that said it had done 25 downloads
in the last week. :-) I have driver version: 5.01.2493.0000 and the
independent driver pages make reference to version: 5.01.2535.0000. Is
ATI just missing this particular driver, because it's "legacy"?

Why do you think none of the independent sites don't have it? This is
just curiosity. I obviously cant' do anything about it.

I needed the new driver because the computer won't go into Standby
mode with the current driver, and the message says to upgreade the
driver. But now I also seem to need something to use Google Earth in
DirectX mode. The message said "graphics card or IGP" I'm guessing,
does IGP mean Integrated Graphics Processor, on the motherboard? If
so, I don't have that.

Thanks for any help you can give.
From: Benjamin Gawert on
* mm:
>> There really is no reason to
>> waste any time with such a card.
>
> I got it free?

It is only free if your time is worth nothing.

> Maybe that's why my friend gave it to me.

Probably.

> So if I'm going to buy another graphics card, I'd like to get one that
> has output for the TV**.

Most older graphics card had a TV output (Y/C aka SVHS, can be converted
to CVBS by a cheap adapter), so that shouldn't be a problem.

> Also, is there any issue about a new model graphics card working on XP
> but not on Win98SE? I still have that on the same harddrive, and
> when I once had big trouble with XP, 98 has been very useful, if
> nothing else to get my email and read my newsgroups.

Yes, cards like the Radeon 7000 had Win98 drivers available. However, it
is really not a good idea to use the internet with Windows98 any more as
there haven't been any security updates to Windows or the browsers which
run on it for years, and despite common belief there still are many
threats around that do affect Windows98.

> Any graphics card recommendations considering all these things? Even
> 20 or 30 dollars is okay. The ATI Radeon 7000 says it has VGA
> (d-sub), DVI-I and TV out. And I can't see too well but it may have
> an S-video jack?? And it says it runs on win98SE? Is it still what I
> want?

Yes.

> I'll have to upgrade more of it if necessary. It is 800 MHz now, but
> my friend says he has a faster motherboard/cpu that he's going to give
> me, when he upgrades his stuff. And that may include a bigger power
> supply.

To be honest, with 800MHz watching Hulu (which is Flash-based and thus
requires quite a bit more CPU performance) won't work, no matter what
graphics card you throw in. You should at least get something in the
area of a Pentium4 2.6GHz or AthlonXP 2000 or better. I wouldn't waste
any time with anything slower as it never will do what you want it to do
(Google Earth and Hulu).

Honestly, if I were you I'd just fetch something like a Dell Precision
(360/370/380) or HP dc-Series (dc7100/7200) computer which can be had
for around $60-$90 today and has enough performance for what you want it
to do.

Ben
From: mm on
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 14:58:32 -0500, mm <NOPSAMmm2005(a)bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>It has: AV In, Red, Yellow, and White RCA jacks. (Component, right?)
> and Composite-video In, also 3 RCA jacks, but just for video iiuc
> and S-Video In

I think I got this wrong. The yellow video jack is composite, iiuc.
The three jacks for YPbPg is component, iiuc.

>I guess the only sound-In is the yellow and white AV audio RCA jacks.

Sorry. I meant red and white.

>How would I connect the computer to the DVDR to get both picture and
>sound? Do I have to run all 3 video and left and right audio cables,
>or is there a simpler way?

After reading a lot tonight, I gather if I can't use HDMI, there is no
simpler way. I need 3 cables.

I've read there are better ways than S-video, but since the largest TV
I have or expect to get is 19 inches and a couple are 15 inch, do you
think S-video is good enough? It seems like, if I get a video card
with S-video out, it would be pretty simple compared to all the
adapters etc. I'd need to use anything better.

http://www.cablesnmor.com/qo-s-video-cables.aspx had 100 foot S-video
for 24.50 although they won't tell me what the shipping charge is
unless I give them my name etc.

And I can get the sound from the sound card, like everyone does. :)

Thaks again.

From: Barry Watzman on
Re: "I currently have an ATI Technologies 3D Rage II+ PCI video card
with 4 Meg memory, and I think I need to upgrade it"

A gross understatement; that card is more than a decade old, it's truly
a fossil.

The card is not compliant with any modern standards. It's from the era
of 486 and very early Pentium [Pentium ONE] PCs.

You desperately need a new video card. What I'm wondering is if what
you really need is a new computer.

From: Barry Watzman on
The real question here that you have not addressed is the COMPUTER.

You may be dealing with a computer that is old that, as a practical
matter, you can't get a modern video card.

You also need to concern yourself with what video card motherboard
options you have. You should use PCI only as a last resort. If you
have AGP you should use that, if you have PCI Express (I'm 99% sure you
don't) you should use that:

PCI (oldest and worst)
AGP
PCI Express (newest and best)

BTW, if you are interested, I have a brand new, still shrink wrapped ATI
Radeon 7000 "Dual Display Edition" video card for $15 + shipping. It's
not a truly modern card but it's cheap and new and very reasonable for
almost all non-gaming applications. It has VGA Output, DVI output
(which can be converted to HDMI with an adapter, OR to a SECOND,
INDEPENDENT VGA output) and TV output (both composite and S-Video).
It's a decent card for an older AGP machine.