From: Andrew Stephenson on
In article <1hkhdy6.5k4fpfgmnqu3N%NEWS(a)wodger.demon.co.uk>
NEWS(a)wodger.demon.co.uk "Roger Merriman" writes:

> Andrew Stephenson <ames(a)deltrak.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > [description of lightning-strike on house phone system that
> > killed an old phone, not a new one]

> we have found that BT (spit hiss) phones are bloody robust and will take
> surge after surge that will fry others. hence have cheap simple bt
> phone. as folks place gets phone line surges fairly often during the
> winter months due to its location.

My new phone is a BT, a "Decor 1200" (well designed ergonomically
and cheap). The old was Brand X and was replaced by a BT "Dual".

I tried a Binatone before getting the BT -- nasty poorly designed
overpriced-even-at-a-low-number-of-pounds lump of owl-throughput.
The BT was cheaper, though priced GBP2 more than the Binatone: it
had everything in the box, whereas the Binatone had no batteries
(therefore requiring a trip to the shops + cost of batteries).

Reminds one of TCO discussions of Certain Operating Systems.
--
Andrew Stephenson

From: Roger Merriman on
Andrew Stephenson <ames(a)deltrak.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <1hkhdy6.5k4fpfgmnqu3N%NEWS(a)wodger.demon.co.uk>
> NEWS(a)wodger.demon.co.uk "Roger Merriman" writes:
>
> > Andrew Stephenson <ames(a)deltrak.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > [description of lightning-strike on house phone system that
> > > killed an old phone, not a new one]
>
> > we have found that BT (spit hiss) phones are bloody robust and will take
> > surge after surge that will fry others. hence have cheap simple bt
> > phone. as folks place gets phone line surges fairly often during the
> > winter months due to its location.
>
> My new phone is a BT, a "Decor 1200" (well designed ergonomically
> and cheap). The old was Brand X and was replaced by a BT "Dual".
>
> I tried a Binatone before getting the BT -- nasty poorly designed
> overpriced-even-at-a-low-number-of-pounds lump of owl-throughput.
> The BT was cheaper, though priced GBP2 more than the Binatone: it
> had everything in the box, whereas the Binatone had no batteries
> (therefore requiring a trip to the shops + cost of batteries).

not sure what phone it was but as i'm still not in a city i got a
cheapish BT phone with hands free, useful for dealing with call
centurers.

> Reminds one of TCO discussions of Certain Operating Systems.

roger
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Prev: pipUnixDomain