From: thanatoid on
"Tim Meddick" <timmeddick(a)gawab.com> wrote in

> Sorry,
> you can also download my reg file from :
>
> http://www.4shared.com/file/176172591/d9f0067a/SingleStartMe
> nu.html

You may have missed this from my last post:

UPDATE: I just checked the DL dir where I saved you post, and
there IS a "SingleStartMenu.reg" file there. HOW it got there I
don't know. You learn something new about XNews (AND Total
Commander) almost every day.

I have yet to try your suggestions, but they sound very
promising. Thanks again.
From: Tim Meddick on
I have updated the reg-file as it did not contain all the necessary changes, I have
also created an "Undo" reg file and both can be downloaded together in a .zip file
below :

SingleStartMenu.zip
http://www.4shared.com/file/178081162/cbee7314/SingleStartMenu.html

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: thanatoid on

> I have updated the reg-file as it did not contain all the
> necessary changes, I have also created an "Undo" reg file
> and both can be downloaded together in a .zip file below :

Thanks for the update. Good thing I haven't had the "intestinal
fortitude" to try it yet...

Great to have the "undo" as well. I really appreciate your help.

Cheers,
t.
From: Tim Meddick on
Let me again assure you that all this reg file will do is make the CURRENT user's
Start Menu the only one that the system will refer to, and therefore, make the Start
Menu in the "All Users" folder redundant.

This is ALL it does and the "undo" reg file re-instates the "All Users" Start Menu.

I have tested both and know that they work.

However, it's only worth using on a system where ONLY one profile is usually used
from day to day, and it is from this profile you would execute (import) the
SingleStartMenu.reg file (the "undo" file can be imported from any profile).

Because if any other profile is then used, they would find their Start Menu located
in another's folder (and unless Admin, would be read-only for them).

But if you only ever use one profile, then I can well see the advantages of having
only one location for the Start Menu.

==

From: thanatoid on

> Let me again assure you that all this reg file will do is
> make the CURRENT user's Start Menu the only one that the
> system will refer to, and therefore, make the Start Menu in
> the "All Users" folder redundant.

If that "CURRENT" users is me, ie Admin in "E:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Start Menu"
then that is all I want.

> This is ALL it does and the "undo" reg file re-instates the
> "All Users" Start Menu.
>
> I have tested both and know that they work.

I trust you.

> However, it's only worth using on a system where ONLY one
> profile is usually used from day to day, and it is from
> this profile you would execute (import) the
> SingleStartMenu.reg file (the "undo" file can be imported
> from any profile).

I am the only person who ever touches or will touch this
computer, and I automatically log on as Admin.

> Because if any other profile is then used, they would find
> their Start Menu located in another's folder (and unless
> Admin, would be read-only for them).

Irrelevant in this case, I trust.

> But if you only ever use one profile, then I can well see
> the advantages of having only one location for the Start
> Menu.

That's an understatement.

Thanks again. I'll try it soon. (I have a lot of other things to
do right now...)
Will report on success/etc.

Cheers
t.