From: thanatoid on
Hello,

Is it possible to move all the directories from All Users to
Administrator or vice versa and change the re;evant/necessary
shortcuts? It is driving me INSANE to have to check in two
different places every time I want to make a change to the start
menu. (Not to mention the set-up it totally illogical - at least
to a non-MS employee.)

Any thoughts/suggestions on this and related themes would be
greatly appreciated. I am new to XP and while I am beginning to
get used to it, the redundancy of 5 (or more) copies of the
identical file (were it only *one* file - it seems there are
HUNDREDS) in different places and the unnecessary presence of
other user accounts on machine which only one person in the
world ever touches is driving me nuts.

t.
From: Tim Meddick on
If you only ever use one profile (i.e. Administrator) you can make a change to the
registry that will make the "Start Menu" within that users' "home" folder the only
one that the system uses.

(e.g. "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu")

The changes would be as follows :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]
"Common Start Menu"="%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu"
"Common Startup"="%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell
Folders]
"Common Start Menu"="%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu"
"Common Startup"="%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

....All the above values would normally have the values: %ALLUSERSPROFILE% as part of
them - by changing this to: %USERPROFILE% you change the focus to the current users
profile and make the Start Menu in the "All Users" folder redundant.

P.S.

I have also included a reg-file attachment (if you are using a news-reader capable of
"seeing" attachments) that will make these changes.

Another way of implementing these changes would be to copy and paste each of the
following four commands into a Command Prompt ("DOS-box") and press [ENTER] after
each...

reg ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v
"Common Start Menu" /d "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu" /f

reg ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v
"Common Startup" /d "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" /f

reg ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders"
/v "Common Start Menu" /d "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu" /f

reg ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders"
/v "Common Startup" /d "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" /f

(The above [4] commands should all be one-liners but may not appear so due to
line-wrap. Please ensure that each command begins with 'reg' and ends with '/f')

*Note - Please exercise care when editing the registry, always create a backup and /
or create a 'System Restore' point first.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: thanatoid on
Leonard Grey <l.grey(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in

> Whether or not you think it's "stupid and unnecessary" is
> irrelevent -- that's how Windows XP was designed. If you
> try to break Windows, you will suffer the consequences.

Well, I suppose we have all known MS is only good at making
money, and even Apple is running a (significantly) prettied-up
version of a 35-year old OS, so it would seem there IS NO HOPE.

> If you are driven INSANE by something as miniscule as the
> user account structure in an operating system, you really
> need to get out more.

Since you seem to be the kind of person that likes the
expression, I will use it:
"That ship has sailed."

I have little to do in my life aside from sitting in front of
idiot box #2. Sad but true.

> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est

Too bad humanum includes MS.
From: thanatoid on
"Tim Meddick" <timmeddick(a)gawab.com> wrote in

> If you only ever use one profile (i.e. Administrator) you
> can make a change to the registry that will make the "Start
> Menu" within that users' "home" folder the only one that
> the system uses.

This sounds promising, I will try it.

<SNIP>

> I have also included a reg-file attachment (if you are
> using a news-reader capable of "seeing" attachments) that
> will make these changes.

I use XNews and I did not even know you CAN include
"attachments" with non-binary posts.
If you could post them or post links to them, I would be MOST
grateful. I have no binaries access now, I'm on eternal-
september.

UPDATE: I just checked the DL dir where I saved you post, and
there IS a "SingleStartMenu.reg" file there. HOW it got there I
don't know. You learn something new about XNews (AND Total
Commander) almost every day.

> Another way of implementing these changes would be to copy
> and paste each of the following four commands into a
> Command Prompt ("DOS-box") and press [ENTER] after each...

Will try them...

<SNIP>

> (The above [4] commands should all be one-liners but may
> not appear so due to line-wrap. Please ensure that each
> command begins with 'reg' and ends with '/f')
>
> *Note - Please exercise care when editing the registry,
> always create a backup and / or create a 'System Restore'
> point first.

I'll make a registry backup. "System Restores" have never
sounded very reliable - and I have read many SR-related horror
posts.

I very much appreciate your help. Sounds like specific stuff
that may help me solve some of the annoyances.
From: Tim Meddick on
Sorry,
you can also download my reg file from :

http://www.4shared.com/file/176172591/d9f0067a/SingleStartMenu.html

This Reg-file will make changes to the registry to use the current user's
"Start Menu" ONLY and therefore make the "Start Menu" in the "All Users" folder
redundant.

Please Note that this will make active the Start Menu (as and when you use this
reg file) for the CURRENT USER and will then apply to ALL OTHER USER PROFILES