From: - Bobb - on
Looking for some input.
I just bought a 1TB Mybook which comes formatted as Fat32.
True, Fat32 is readable by non NT OS, but aside from that - your thoughts on
FAT32 vs. NTFS - cluster size. I also have a 500mb Mybook drive (NTFS now)
and I'm thinking one will be for Multimedia - all my pictures / videos etc
and the other for data / backups. On each I'll have some very big files and
lots of small files. I currently have a few XP boxes and will upgrade one to
Windows7 if that matters.
So - more overhead in FAT32 vs. NTFS: What would you do ?
Make them both NTFS ? leave as-is ? and why ?
Thanks

From: JD on
- Bobb - wrote:
> Looking for some input.
> I just bought a 1TB Mybook which comes formatted as Fat32.
> True, Fat32 is readable by non NT OS, but aside from that - your thoughts on
> FAT32 vs. NTFS - cluster size. I also have a 500mb Mybook drive (NTFS now)
> and I'm thinking one will be for Multimedia - all my pictures / videos etc
> and the other for data / backups. On each I'll have some very big files and
> lots of small files. I currently have a few XP boxes and will upgrade one to
> Windows7 if that matters.
> So - more overhead in FAT32 vs. NTFS: What would you do ?
> Make them both NTFS ? leave as-is ? and why ?
> Thanks

All very dependant on what you have and what you are using it for.

Fat 32 Pro's are that almost every os can read and write to it, the
con's are that you are limited in size also no security flags/group
permission policy.

NTFS pro's more reliable, can handle large hard drives , security bits
(group policy and permissions) con's cant be read by all OS's pre XP,
macintosh etc, Linux can read and write to ntfs (usual method is to use
the actual file system driver from a NT OS so compatibility is 100% done
under virtulisation or Wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator))

if you are using XP or better I'd personally go for NTFS as its more
robust plus you have the option to use policy's (granted you can ignore
them on xp, but vista onward enforce them), use the standard cluster
size, only reason for changing that would be if you were dealing with
only small files or only large files, the standard cluster size is best
for mixed sizes.

for data backup I'd use a Raid 1 (mirror) or a raid 5 but your talking
about building a system for that or using something like a Drobo

that's my 2p's worth

hope that makes some sense I've had a few whiskey's

JD