From: R. Mark Clayton on

"Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message

> "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Neil Harrington" <not(a)home.today> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "R. Mark Clayton" <nospamclayton(a)btinternet.com> wrote in message

>>> Really?! I always just assumed that was SAE too.
>>>
>> I think he's kidding.....Mine's 1/4-20 SAE.
>
> That's what I thought. But I don't think he's kidding.
>
> As far as I know, Whitworth sizes were only used on British products.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitworth_thread

"Within the United States, the Whitworth thread that most people encounter
is the quarter-inch thread on the bottom of most cameras for mounting on a
tripod."

Touch�!

Even though the Yanks left the Empire they still won't join the rest of the
world.

From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Neil Harrington:
>However, despite all the bad publicity given the Pinto, apart from those two
>final-assembly problems mine was a good car and never gave me any further
>trouble. I owned it about five years, took it on trips to Canada and to
>Florida, never had another complaint with it.

Was Pinto the one where the occupants were incinerated if
somebody hit it from behind?

> When you say "suburban" you mean the Chevy Suburban,
>right? (I don't know whether the term is used for any other vehicle.) How
>old is yours now?
>
>I didn't even know Chevy was assembling cars in Mexico.

Yes, Chevrolet Suburban. Suburbans are also marketed by GMC, but
I think it's the same vehicle except for the badge.

I didn't know they were assembling them in Mexico either until I
drove this one home and saw something somewhere in the
documentation or something that said where it was assembled.
--
PeteCresswell
From: Bill Graham on

> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Neil Harrington" <not(a)home.today> wrote in message

>>> I think he's kidding.....Mine's 1/4-20 SAE.
>>
>> That's what I thought. But I don't think he's kidding.
>>
>> As far as I know, Whitworth sizes were only used on British products.
>>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitworth_thread
>
> "Within the United States, the Whitworth thread that most people encounter
> is the quarter-inch thread on the bottom of most cameras for mounting on a
> tripod."
>
> Touch�!
>
> Even though the Yanks left the Empire they still won't join the rest of
> the world.

Actually the Whitworth 1/4" size also uses 20 threads per inch, so it will
probably fit into a 1/4-20 nut for some limited number of turns without any
trouble.....

From: Bill Graham on

"(PeteCresswell)" <x(a)y.Invalid> wrote in message
> Per Neil Harrington:
>>However, despite all the bad publicity given the Pinto, apart from those
>>two
>>final-assembly problems mine was a good car and never gave me any further
>>trouble. I owned it about five years, took it on trips to Canada and to
>>Florida, never had another complaint with it.
>
> Was Pinto the one where the occupants were incinerated if
> somebody hit it from behind?
>

>> When you say "suburban" you mean the Chevy Suburban,
>>right? (I don't know whether the term is used for any other vehicle.) How
>>old is yours now?
>>
>>I didn't even know Chevy was assembling cars in Mexico.
>
> Yes, Chevrolet Suburban. Suburbans are also marketed by GMC, but
> I think it's the same vehicle except for the badge.
>
> I didn't know they were assembling them in Mexico either until I
> drove this one home and saw something somewhere in the
> documentation or something that said where it was assembled.
> --
> PeteCresswell

My daughter used to use a Suburban with 4 wheel drive to carry oxygen
bottles and wheelchairs to her patients in the winter snow, but she stopped
buying them a few years ago because of poor reliability.

From: Neil Harrington on

"(PeteCresswell)" <x(a)y.Invalid> wrote in message
> Per Neil Harrington:
>>However, despite all the bad publicity given the Pinto, apart from those
>>two
>>final-assembly problems mine was a good car and never gave me any further
>>trouble. I owned it about five years, took it on trips to Canada and to
>>Florida, never had another complaint with it.
>
> Was Pinto the one where the occupants were incinerated if
> somebody hit it from behind?

That's the one. Probably something of an exaggerated problem, but never
having been hit in it from behind I can't speak from experience. Of course
those who *were* incinerated in Pintos wouldn't have considered it an
exaggeration.

>> When you say "suburban" you mean the Chevy Suburban,
>>right? (I don't know whether the term is used for any other vehicle.) How
>>old is yours now?
>>
>>I didn't even know Chevy was assembling cars in Mexico.
>
> Yes, Chevrolet Suburban. Suburbans are also marketed by GMC, but
> I think it's the same vehicle except for the badge.
>
> I didn't know they were assembling them in Mexico either until I
> drove this one home and saw something somewhere in the
> documentation or something that said where it was assembled.
> --
> PeteCresswell

That's interesting. I knew some American electronic stuff has been assembled
in Mexico for many years, but I guess they never advertised the fact about
cars. I've read about quality differences between specific GM plants, but
never saw a Mexican plant mentioned.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Prev: 7D full review at dpreview