From: Bill Graham on

"pat" <pat.norton(a)iname.com> wrote in message
> Units are not just a matter of choice. For example, Federal laws such
> as the FPLA require non-metric units on labels for almost every
> prepacked thing (bottle, box, package) you see in the supermarket.
> Manufacturers such as Proctor & Gamble have been lobbying to change
> the law so they can use metric-only labels without being prosecuted.
>
> The 2 liter soda bottle is traded worldwide with a label that says it
> contains 2 liters but it's forbidden to sell one in the US if it
> doesn't have state the size in pints and ounces.

The US tried to go metric back in the early 80's. But we suffer from,
"housewives disease", and they had to back out. There is still a filling
station on the Stanford campus whose pumps are calibrated in liters I am
amazed that Proctor & Gamble (who sells mainly to housewives) has been
pushing for metric labeling on its products.

From: Bill Graham on

"David" <someone(a)somewhere.com> wrote in message

> "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
>> message news:88jpf5pjobqgh78iij3fsad3dd40i7ra65(a)4ax.com...
>>>
>>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:55:32 -0800, "Bill Graham"
>>> <weg9(a)comcast.net>

>>> Bridge evolved out of Whist, but Whist wasn't played
>>> until sometime
>>> around the 1700s. The seven day week had already been in
>>> vogue by
>>> then.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
>>
>> I'm not complaining about the 7 day week. I am complaining
>> about the 12 month year. 13 months of exactly 4 weeks each
>> is a much better solution than the 12 months of varying
>> number of days each that we now have....And, the whole
>> world seems to be happy with the present system......You'd
>> think that some culture, somewhere, would have adopted a
>> 13 month year by now. Unless fear of the number 13 is a
>> lot more universal than I thought.....
>
> The month was originally based upon the lunar cycle which is
> about 29.5 days.
>
> David

Ah! - That explains it.....12 X 29.5 is 354 which is fairly close to a
year....But, since nobody really cares about the moon anymore, they should
go to a 13 month year of exactly 4 weeks in each month.....I propose naming
the 13th month, Grahamuary"......(in my honor, of course...:^)

From: J�rgen Exner on
"Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:
>"J�rgen Exner" <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Then please explain _YOUR_ definition of 'metric'.
>
>Based on the meter, exactly as the term indicates. Units of length and
>volume are metric (or not) on that basis. Units of mass are metric when
>based on the mass of some metric volume of water under standard conditions.

Well, that's too bad because if you restrict yourself to length only
then you are missing 6 of the 7 base units of the SI and thus the vast
majority of coherence and simplification that comes with that system.

Now, how come that doesn't surprise me?

jue
From: David J. Littleboy on

"J�rgen Exner" <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:
>>"J�rgen Exner" <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Then please explain _YOUR_ definition of 'metric'.
>>
>>Based on the meter, exactly as the term indicates. Units of length and
>>volume are metric (or not) on that basis. Units of mass are metric when
>>based on the mass of some metric volume of water under standard
>>conditions.
>
> Well, that's too bad because if you restrict yourself to length only
> then you are missing 6 of the 7 base units of the SI and thus the vast
> majority of coherence and simplification that comes with that system.
>
> Now, how come that doesn't surprise me?

"The system is nearly universally employed. Three principal exceptions are
Burma (Myanmar), Liberia, and the United States."

But you guys who don't do English system miss all sorts of fun.

Overheard in a Navy Reserve Officer Training Course at MIT in 1975:
Prof: "We will now calculate the density of seawater in slugs per cubic
yard"

And he wasn't joking.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

From: Walter Banks on

Bill Graham wrote:

> > The month was originally based upon the lunar cycle which is
> > about 29.5 days.
>
> Ah! - That explains it.....12 X 29.5 is 354 which is fairly close to a
> year....But, since nobody really cares about the moon anymore,

Except close to half the world that still uses calendars based
on the lunar cycle. The whole middle east moslem and jews.

w..

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Prev: 7D full review at dpreview
Next: Photos about Botany