From: Bill Graham on

"Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message

> "Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message
>> In message <W8-dnQ16jqYTl2fXnZ2dnUVZ_vSdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
>> Harrington <secret(a)illumnati.net> writes
>>>
>>>And go metric, you mean? There'd be no point to it.
>>
>> You may have no choice... In many places I see Global standards that are
>> used the whole world over except in the USA. Eventually the US is going
>> to have to fit in with the rest of the world.
>
> The two systems co-exist perfectly well in virtually all everyday
> applications. If you're expecting to see American mileage signs on the
> highways change to kilometers, neither you nor your great-grandchildren
> will see that happen in your entire lifetimes. And we'll still be buying
> our milk in quarts and our meat by the pound. There is simply no reason to
> change.
>
> The metric system seems to have started because Europeans squabbled over
> measurements, as Europeans always do over one thing or another. The
> English mile was different from the Italian mile, and neither would accept
> the standard of the other. English barrels came in different sizes for
> different liquids, confusing units of measure based on the barrel. And so
> on. Such problems neither had then nor have now nothing to do with us
> here.

It's just like the drive on the left/right side of the road
controversy.....What could be more stupid than that? All the auto
manufacturers in the world have to make their cars mirror-imaged for export
to England and Australia, and they even have to change lanes in the middle
of the tunnel under the English channel......Ridiculous! Especially when it
takes anyone with half a brain about 10 minutes to learn to drive on the
other side of the road! And these are countries who aren't even at war with
one another.....Go figure.....

From: Bill Graham on

"J�rgen Exner" <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:
>>"R. Mark Clayton" <nospamclayton(a)btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter%23The_metric.2Fimperial_mix-up&usg=AFQjCNHBbstCpB4S2gxZe2bJ9jJJGEClxw&ei=WH39SrDYMoWNjAeqmKWUCw&sa=X&oi=section_link&resnum=2&ct=legacy&ved=0CAwQygQ
>>>
>>> "The metric/imperial mix-up
>>> The metric/imperial mix-up that destroyed the craft
>>
>>I understand, and I repeat the question: What does that have to do with
>>English vs. metric? (In terms of one being preferable to the other.)
>>
>>The problem was that they mixed up two different measurement systems, not
>>that one of them was better than the other. So you can say that it was
>>just
>>as much the fault of using the metric system as of anything else.
>
> So, are you suggesting that in order to avoid future incidents like this
> the world should standardizes on the measurement system that is used by
> a small minority?
>
> Why doesn't that surprise me?
>
> jue

No. The world should standardize on JUST ONE SYSTEM. It doesn't really
matter which one, although anyone with half a brain would realize that the
metric system is the best one. It would be as easy as teaching your grammar
school students some other system for the first 4 or 5 years of their
education.....How hard is that?

From: Bill Graham on

> Naa, no chance. They are way to convinced about their own unfailable
> superiority and not using ISO is a matter of national security and
> pride. Anyting _inter_national is by definition suspicious, evil, and to
> be fought at all cost because it will destroy the American Way of Life.
> Miles and pounds and gallons are a matter of national identity and no
> rational argument can fight irrational superstition.

You haven't had to deal with very many US housewives, have you, jue? As an
engineer, I have been dealing with them all of my life, and I can tell you
that it hasn't been nearly as easy as you seem to assume.....:^)

From: J�rgen Exner on
"Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>No. The world should standardize on JUST ONE SYSTEM. It doesn't really
>matter which one, although anyone with half a brain would realize that the
>metric system is the best one. It would be as easy as teaching your grammar
>school students some other system for the first 4 or 5 years of their
>education.....How hard is that?

In that country: impossible. People are so afraid, that on sightseeing
signs they would even scratch off the metric value whenever it is
mentioned in addition to miles or feet.

jue
From: Bill Graham on

"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:25:21 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Only whilst the US stays within it's own boarders and does not trade
>>with anyone else.
>
> We repel boarders ever since those water-boarding incidents.
>

> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

If we, "Stayed within our own borders and didn't trade with anyone else" ,
the rest of the world would go broke.....Who do they think uses half the
world's goods and services? It's all those English-system loving housewives,
baby!

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Prev: 7D full review at dpreview
Next: Photos about Botany