From: Neil Harrington on

> It seems we left our history far behind. Have you ever noticed where the
> good old Wells Fargo stage coach driver sat, ...on the right, shotgun on
> the left.

Apparently that was the standard arrangement for all horse and buggy drivers
too. (Going by the movies, anyway.)

And it's still the standard position for whoever's steering a power boat.

At least some of the earliest American automobiles had right-hand drive
also. Now I'm wondering where and why left-hand drive got started. Perhaps
it was because the gearshift was centrally located, and it's more natural to
work that with the dominant hand, which for 90% of people is the right one.

From: Neil Harrington on

"Wilba" <usenet(a)CUTTHISimago.com.au> wrote in message
> Savageduck wrote:
>> Savageduck said:

>>> Note the driver on the left.
>>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.png
>>
>> Sorry, that was the right, the shot gun was on the left.
>> Now I don't know my left from my right!
>
> I worked that out. :- )
>
> I wonder why they did it that way, since the driver is on the ejector
> side...?

Not for a double-barreled shotgun.

> Maybe the convention pre-dates the widespread use of repeating rifles.

Yep. I presume "shotgun" literally meant a shotgun.

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-14 06:58:27 -0800, George Kerby <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> said:

> On 11/14/09 4:55 AM, in article
> 2009111402550242612-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2009-11-14 02:53:09 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
>> said:

>>> Note the driver on the left.
>>>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.pn>>
>>
>> Sorry, that was the right, the shot gun was on the left.
>> Now I don't know my left from my right!
> The negative was flopped...?

Aah! The Billy The Kid, left hand gun paradox.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Neil Harrington on

> On 2009-11-14 06:58:27 -0800, George Kerby <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com>
> said:
>

>> On 11/14/09 4:55 AM, in article
>> 2009111402550242612-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 2009-11-14 02:53:09 -0800, Savageduck
>>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>

>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.pn>>
>>>
>>> Sorry, that was the right, the shot gun was on the left.
>>> Now I don't know my left from my right!
>> The negative was flopped...?
>
> Aah! The Billy The Kid, left hand gun paradox.

Yep. To this day, many (probably most) people still believe that Henry
"Billy the Kid" McCarty was left-handed. One of the movies about him, "The
Left Handed Gun," has surely contributed to that falsehood.

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-14 10:03:45 -0800, "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> said:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2009-11-14 06:58:27 -0800, George Kerby <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com>
>> said:
>>

>>> On 11/14/09 4:55 AM, in article
>>> 2009111402550242612-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

>>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.pn>>

>>> The negative was flopped...?
>>
>> Aah! The Billy The Kid, left hand gun paradox.
>
> Yep. To this day, many (probably most) people still believe that Henry
> "Billy the Kid" McCarty was left-handed. One of the movies about him, "The
> Left Handed Gun," has surely contributed to that falsehood.

Well here is a photo of a stagecoach, driven from the right, and with
the type on the coach correct and not mirror imaged.
http://www.old-picture.com/old-west/pictures/Stagecoach-Western.jpg

and anothers of what seems to be of great character drivers (on the right)
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-oldwest/Deadwood%20stagecoach.jpg
http://www.owensvalleyhistory.com/cerro_gordo2/stage_coach.jpg

--
Regards,