From: Bill Graham on

"Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message

> [...]
>> any arguing over which one is the right one.
>
> Not a problem here, as far as I know.
>
> Googling it I find the following (from Wikipedia):
>
> There is no internationally-agreed standard definition of the cup, whose
> modern volume ranges between 200 and 284 millilitres.[1] The cup sizes
> generally used in the many Commonwealth countries and the United States
> differ by up to 44 mL (1.5 fl oz).
>
> No matter what size cup is used, all the ingredients measured with the
> same size cup will be in the same proportion to one another, although not
> to ingredients measured differently (by weight, teaspoons, etc.).
>
> Commonwealth of Nations
> Imperial cup
> The imperial cup is unofficially defined as half an imperial pint.
> 1 imperial cup = 0.5 imperial pints
> = 2 imperial gills
> = 10 imperial fluid ounces
> = 284 millilitres
> ? 19 international tablespoons[2][3]
> ? 14� Australian tablespoons[4]
> ? 1.20 U.S. customary cups
> ? 9.61 U.S. customary fluid ounces
>
> Metric cup
> In Australia, Canada, New Zealand one cup is commonly defined as 250
> millilitres.
> 1 metric cup = 250 millilitres
> = 16? international tablespoons (15 mL each)
> = 12� Australian tablespoons
> ? 8.80 imperial fluid ounces
> ? 8.45 U.S. customary fluid ounces
>
> United States
> United States customary cup
> United States customary cup is defined as half a U.S. pint.
> 1 U.S. customary cup = 0.5 U.S. customary pints
> = 2 U.S. customary gills
> = 8 U.S. customary fluid ounces
> = 16 U.S. customary tablespoons
> = 237 millilitres
> ? 15? international tablespoons[5]
> ? 11� Australian tablespoons
> ? 0.833 imperial cups
> ? 8.33 imperial fluid ounces
>
> United States "legal" cup
> The cup currently used in the United States for nutrition labelling is
> defined in United States law as 240 mL.[6][7][8]
> 1 U.S. "legal" cup = 240 millilitres
> = 16 international tablespoons
> = 12 Australian tablespoons
> ? 8.12 U.S. customary fluid ounces
> ? 8.45 imperial fluid ounces
>
> Japan
> Japanese cup
> The Japanese cup is currently defined as 200 mL.
> 1 Japanese cup = 200 millilitres
> ? 7.04 imperial fluid ounces
> ? 6.76 U.S. customary fluid ounces
>
> Go
> The traditional Japanese cup, the go, is approximately 180 mL. 10 go make
> one sho, the traditional flask size, approximately 1.8 litres. Go cups are
> typically used for measuring rice, and sake is typically sold by both the
> cup (180 mL) and flask (1.8 litre) sizes.
>
> 1 go = 2401?13310 litres[9]
> ? 180 millilitres
> ? 6.35 imperial fluid ounces
> ? 6.10 U.S. customary fluid ounces
>

> I hope the formating of that doesn't screw up too badly when posting.

Sounds like a good system to me. I think I'll write a letter to my friends
at Stanford and see if they want to adopt it.....

From: George Kerby on

On 11/14/09 12:03 PM, in article
-4adndaSj_OZbGPXnZ2dnUVZ_tednZ2d(a)giganews.com, "Neil Harrington"
<secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2009-11-14 06:58:27 -0800, George Kerby <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com>
>> said:
>>

>>> On 11/14/09 4:55 AM, in article
>>> 2009111402550242612-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

>>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.p
>>> n>>

>>> The negative was flopped...?
>>
>> Aah! The Billy The Kid, left hand gun paradox.
>
> Yep. To this day, many (probably most) people still believe that Henry
> "Billy the Kid" McCarty was left-handed. One of the movies about him, "The
> Left Handed Gun," has surely contributed to that falsehood.

Duly noted...

From: Bill Graham on

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2009-11-14 06:58:27 -0800, George Kerby <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com>
>> said:
>>

>>> On 11/14/09 4:55 AM, in article
>>> 2009111402550242612-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

>>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.pn>>

>>> The negative was flopped...?
>>
>> Aah! The Billy The Kid, left hand gun paradox.
>
> Yep. To this day, many (probably most) people still believe that Henry
> "Billy the Kid" McCarty was left-handed. One of the movies about him, "The
> Left Handed Gun," has surely contributed to that falsehood.

Maybe they printed some of his earlier photos backwards.....:^)

From: Wilba on
Savageduck wrote:
> Wilba said:
>> Savageduck wrote:

>>> Sorry, that was the right, the shot gun was on the left.
>>> Now I don't know my left from my right!
>>
>> I worked that out. :- )
>>
>> I wonder why they did it that way, since the driver is on the ejector
>> side...? Maybe the convention pre-dates the widespread use of repeating
>> rifles.
>
> I think it was a case of right handed shotgun shooters out numbering left
> handed shooters. That way they wouldn't have to replace a driver every
> time a left handed guard blew the driver away. Maybe a qualification for
> shotgun guards was to be right handed.
>
> Maybe there was a rule of the road that stagecoach robbers had a "rob from
> left side" only sense of etiquette. ;-)

As so many things do, I bet if you dug deep enough you could trace it back
to ancient Rome, and chariots. :- )

From: Wilba on
Bill Graham wrote:
> Savageduck wrote:
>> Wilba said:

>>> I worked that out. :- )
>>>
>>> I wonder why they did it that way, since the driver is on the ejector
>>> side...? Maybe the convention pre-dates the widespread use of repeating
>>> rifles.
>>
>> I think it was a case of right handed shotgun shooters out numbering left
>> handed shooters. That way they wouldn't have to replace a driver every
>> time a left handed guard blew the driver away. Maybe a qualification for
>> shotgun guards was to be right handed.
>>
>> Maybe there was a rule of the road that stagecoach robbers had a "rob
>> from left side" only sense of etiquette. ;-)
>
> Maybe it had something to do with which side the shells were ejected from
> when the rifle action was worked....It would be very annoying to the
> driver if the hot shell casings were ejected into his face while he was
> trying to get away from the bad guys.....

But in that photo the driver is on the ejector side.