From: Bill Graham on

> On 2009-11-14 02:53:09 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
> said:

>>> Don't see many of them 'round these here parts. :- )
>>
>> Note the driver on the left.
>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.png
>
> Sorry, that was the right, the shot gun was on the left.
> Now I don't know my left from my right!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Are you sure the picture wasn't reversed? I don't see the, "Wells Fargo"
logo written anywhere, so it could have been......Back in the "film" days,
that happened a lot.......I wonder, is it possible to get a digital picture
reversed?

From: Bill Graham on

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> RustY � wrote:
>> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> Government overspending is a huge part of the problem, that's true.
>>> Also the fact that as we live longer but in most cases still start
>>> drawing Social Security at somewhere between 62 and 65, there are
>>> fewer and fewer workers supporting each retiree through that system.
>>
>> So, you need to vote for more taxes - or less social services -
>> simple.
>
> We vote for neither taxes nor social services, we vote for politicians.

And politicians always vote for more taxes....."Other People's Money", you
know.....

From: Bill Graham on

> On 2009-11-14 04:27:19 -0800, "Wilba" <usenet(a)CUTTHISimago.com.au> said:
>
>> Savageduck wrote:

>>> Sorry, that was the right, the shot gun was on the left.
>>> Now I don't know my left from my right!
>>
>> I worked that out. :- )
>>
>> I wonder why they did it that way, since the driver is on the ejector
>> side...? Maybe the convention pre-dates the widespread use of repeating
>> rifles.
>
> I think it was a case of right handed shotgun shooters out numbering left
> handed shooters. That way they wouldn't have to replace a driver every
> time a left handed guard blew the driver away. Maybe a qualification for
> shotgun guards was to be right handed.
>
> Maybe there was a rule of the road that stagecoach robbers had a "rob from
> left side" only sense of etiquette. ;-)
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Maybe it had something to do with which side the shells were ejected from
when the rifle action was worked....It would be very annoying to the driver
if the hot shell casings were ejected into his face while he was trying to
get away from the bad guys.....

From: George Kerby on

On 11/14/09 9:03 AM, in article
8LudnUMIR_9IW2PXnZ2dnUVZ_ridnZ2d(a)giganews.com, "Neil Harrington"
<secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>

>> It seems we left our history far behind. Have you ever noticed where the
>> good old Wells Fargo stage coach driver sat, ...on the right, shotgun on
>> the left.
>
> Apparently that was the standard arrangement for all horse and buggy drivers
> too. (Going by the movies, anyway.)
>
> And it's still the standard position for whoever's steering a power boat.

Same with civilian helicopter pilots.

From: George Kerby on

On 11/14/09 9:31 AM, in article
2009111407313133169-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> On 2009-11-14 06:58:27 -0800, George Kerby <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> said:
>

>> On 11/14/09 4:55 AM, in article
>> 2009111402550242612-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.pn

>>> Sorry, that was the right, the shot gun was on the left.
>>> Now I don't know my left from my right!
>> The negative was flopped...?
>
> Aah! The Billy The Kid, left hand gun paradox.

<BFG!>