From: Neil Harrington on

"Bob Larter" <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Bill Graham wrote:
>>
>> "Bob Larter" <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> A metric cup *is* 1/4 of a liter.
>>>
>> The most common coffee cup used here in the US is the Corning, "Correll
>> Ware" cup, and it is almost exactly 250 cc's.
>
> Well, there you go. You're already used to one common metric measure.

Most conversions are easy enough, even if pointless. Just looking at
focusing scales makes it obvious that 10 ft. is about 3 m, and it's easy to
remember that 1 kg is about 2.2 lbs. How many ounces in a kilogram or grams
in a pound is more difficult, but it's hard to imagine why anyone would ever
want to know.

The bothersome one is Fahrenheit to Centigrade (or Celsius as they've
decided to call it for some silly reason), or vice versa of course. Probably
most people who've developed B&W film know that 68 F = 20 C, but since the
conversion is non-linear it's not something that you can approximate
instantly in your head.

From: Doug McDonald on
Neil Harrington wrote:

> The bothersome one is Fahrenheit to Centigrade (or Celsius as they've
> decided to call it for some silly reason), or vice versa of course. Probably
> most people who've developed B&W film know that 68 F = 20 C, but since the
> conversion is non-linear it's not something that you can approximate
> instantly in your head.

WHAT??? It most certainly IS linear!

It's also easy:

F = (9/5)C + 32

and C = (F-32) * 5/9

Also K = C + 273.15

That's simple!

Doug McDonald

From: Bill Graham on

> On 2009-11-14 19:20:26 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:
>

>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> Probably even further back to Persian charioteers, driver and archer
>>> teams.
>>>
>> Yes. A right handed archer's right elbow might be interfered with if he
>> sat to the chariot driver's left, so this might have something to do with
>> his sitting on the right.
>
> I'm not quite sure that works for right hand drive chariots. This might be
> the argument for left hand drive.
> A right handed archer will draw the arrow with his strong right hand, not
> his weak left. He would have held the bow in his left hand. The more
> dexterous right hand would also be able to pull arrows from the quiver
> without fumbling.
> This would mean he would be better off standing (charioteers stood) to the
> driver's right, leaving his right elbow free and clear.
> I don't think there was a brake issue with chariots.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Yes. That's how I envisaged it too. So the driver wouldn't interfere with
the bowman's right elbow.....I do believe, however, that chariots did have
brakes.....Somewhere, I remember seeing a strap wrapped around the rear
axel, but I don't remember exactly where.....

From: Bill Graham on

"Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message

> "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Wilba" <usenet(a)CUTTHISimago.com.au> wrote in message

>>> Hmm, "immensely complex verbal structure" is the exact opposite of my
>>> experience with Japanese. I can explain everything you need to know
>>> about Japanese pronounciation in 5 minutes. As long as we're not talking
>>> about kanji, if you can see a word written you can pronounce it well,
>>> and if you hear a word clearly you can write it correctly, because of
>>> the simple phonemic structure.

>>> I guess you're talking about kanji, plus having three other mutually
>>> exclusive ways of writing, but the spoken language itself is very simple
>>> compared to English.
>>>
>> When I was in the Navy, I bought a book titled, "Japanese in 40 lessons".
>> I went through 20 of the lessons before we got to Japan, and I was able
>> to converse with the natives reasonably well during the three cruises we
>> made to Japan in three years. It had a very simple grammatical structure,
>> where the two letter endings on each word identified their grammatical
>> place in the sentence.....Endings like, "wa", and "go" tacked onto the
>> ends of each word. The pronunciation was very simple, and the Japanese
>> had no trouble understanding me.
>
> How does it compare with Chinese (either form), do you know? Chinese is a
> language I'm thinking of learning a little, because I think that's where
> most of the world's economic growth is going to be for the remainder of
> this century.

I believe that Chinese is a lot harder to pronounce......As a matter of
fact, I have been told that slight changes in pronunciation will completely
change the definitions of some words. The "sing-song" effect you hear in the
spoken language is really a part of the meanings of the words spoken. But I
haven't studied Chinese, so I don't really know.

From: Bill Graham on

> "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> I think it was a case of right handed shotgun shooters out numbering
>>> left handed shooters. That way they wouldn't have to replace a driver
>>> every time a left handed guard blew the driver away. Maybe a
>>> qualification for shotgun guards was to be right handed.
>>>
>>> Maybe there was a rule of the road that stagecoach robbers had a "rob
>>> from left side" only sense of etiquette. ;-)
>>>

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Savageduck
>>>
>> Maybe it had something to do with which side the shells were ejected from
>> when the rifle action was worked....It would be very annoying to the
>> driver if the hot shell casings were ejected into his face while he was
>> trying to get away from the bad guys.....
>
> I think most Winchester lever actions eject more or less straight up.
> Marlins I believe have always ejected to the right, but most of the rifles
> in stagecoach days were surely Winchesters.

Straight up wouldn't be too bad. The operator would learn to tilt the weapon
in the right direction before working the action, so the empty shells would
go where he wanted them to go.....Also, it would be just as easy to shoot
for both left and right handers.....