From: J�rgen Exner on
"Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:
>"Doug McDonald" <mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu.remove.invalid> wrote in message
>> Neil Harrington wrote:
>>> The bothersome one is Fahrenheit to Centigrade (or Celsius as they've
>>> decided to call it for some silly reason), or vice versa of course.
>>> Probably most people who've developed B&W film know that 68 F = 20 C, but
>>> since the conversion is non-linear it's not something that you can
>>> approximate instantly in your head.
>>
>> WHAT??? It most certainly IS linear!
>
>Not the conversion.

Of coures it is linear.
What else would it possibly be? Square? Polynomial? Exponentional?
Logarithmic? Constant?

Just another example that you have no clue what you are talking about.

>10 kg. on the other hand is about 22 lbs., therefore 5 kg is 11 lbs., 20 kg
>is 44 lbs., 100 kg is 220 lbs., and so on. That's what I mean by linear.

Oh, right. What _YOU_ mean by linear. I see. Just like what _YOU_ meant
by metric.

If you want to call a table a john, then by all means that is your
choice. But it certainly simplifies communication a lot if all involved
parties have the same understanding of the meaning of a word. And
because when they hear "john" most people will NOT imagine something
with a flat top, often 4 legs, maybe a table cloth on top, and some nice
chairs around it, it might be easier if you stick with the established
semantic of words, too.

Otherwise your claim that you just sat down at the john for dinner might
cause some "astonishment".

jue
From: Ray Fischer on
J�rgen Exner <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:
>>"Doug McDonald" <mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu.remove.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> WHAT??? It most certainly IS linear!
>>
>>Not the conversion.
>
>Of coures it is linear.
>What else would it possibly be? Square? Polynomial? Exponentional?
>Logarithmic? Constant?
>
>Just another example that you have no clue what you are talking about.

But what else is new?

>>10 kg. on the other hand is about 22 lbs., therefore 5 kg is 11 lbs., 20 kg
>>is 44 lbs., 100 kg is 220 lbs., and so on. That's what I mean by linear.
>
>Oh, right. What _YOU_ mean by linear. I see. Just like what _YOU_ meant
>by metric.

Rightards live in their own little world where words mean whatever
they want them to mean.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: MikeW on
Degrees Celcius to degrees Fahrenheit: double C, take off a tenth of the
result, add 32. Always works.

Degrees Fahrenheit to degrees Celcius: take off 32, halve the result, add a
tenth. Certainly close enough for Government work.

MikeW

From: Eric Stevens on

>>> http://www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-oldwest/Deadwood%20stagecoach.jpg
>>> http://www.owensvalleyhistory.com/cerro_gordo2/stage_coach.jpg
>>
>> Yes, stagecoaches and horse-drawn buggies were always driven from the
>> right. I've never seen any picture showing otherwise.
>Strange....I wonder why their replacement automobiles were developed to be
>operated from the left side?

I've already told you. It was Napoleon.

Eric Stevens
From: Eric Stevens on
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:25:50 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>"Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Eric Stevens" <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote in message

>>> Blame Napoleon. He laid down the law for France and at the beginning
>>> of the 20th century France dominated the automobile industry.
>>
>> But sans Napoleon.
>>
>Hummmm.....I wonder if France had stagecoaches before their automobiles, and
>if so, were they operated from the left or right sides?

Where ever they were operated from, ever since Napoleon they drove on
the right.

Eric Stevens