From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-15 16:47:38 -0800, "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> said:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2009-11-15 15:09:32 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:
>>

>>> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message

>>> Straight up wouldn't be too bad. The operator would learn to tilt the
>>> weapon in the right direction before working the action, so the empty
>>> shells would go where he wanted them to go.....Also, it would be just as
>>> easy to shoot for both left and right handers.....
>>
>> ...but remember accurate fire from a moving, rough riding stagecoach with
>> a rifle would be a rare thing.
>> There was a reason the favored weapon was a shotgun. Many of those guards
>> used a Greener 10 gauge, loaded with OO buck, that is a heavy load of
>> lead. Greener also developed the first decent choke for shotguns and self
>> ejector, making the lighter 12 gauge practical. It was the most copied
>> design for double barreled shotguns until John Moses Browning
>
> John Mose Browning, not Moses. Probably it's a common mistake.

This has got to be the first time I have heard "Mose"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Moses_Browning
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWbrowningJ.htm
http://www.american-inventor.com/john-moses-browning.aspx
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/81839/John-Moses-Browning

so if you have a citation for "Mose" it would be interesting to see.

>> made his innovations and introduced the Winchester 1893 pump, perfecting
>> it with the 1897.
>>
>> You might say Greener was Britain's contribution to the American West.
>
> Are you sure those guards used Greeners? There were American 10-ga. shotguns
> too, and I would think that Greeners would be pretty expensive for that
> purpose -- though not nearly as expensive as the "London-made" guns of
> course.

Greeners were first introduced in the US around 1869 and their
reputation for function and reliability was so good they quickly became
the favored shotgun for guards and Law enforcement. They were certainly
the best of shotguns in those days.

Greener also made some of the most expensive custom double rifles, but
these were mainly used in Africa and the colonies.

Good guns always commanded high prices, as they do today.
I know, my Kimber set me back $1200.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/G-Kimber-CDP-LAc.jpg

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Neil Harrington on

> "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> And as a general rule, any assertion that begins with "Studies show . .
>>> ." without actually identifying a source for the alleged studies, can
>>> safely be taken as no more than someone's unsupported opinion.
>>>
>> Or, if you can't identify a population and a control group from which the
>> data could be drawn, then you know it's just somebody's raw guess......
> For example, I remember not too long ago that the telly told me how many
> babies die from, "secondhand smoke" I immediately asked myself, How do
> they know this?. If their mothers smoked, then the babies died from first
> hand smoke.

No, first-hand smoke would require the babies themselves to have smoked.
:-)

> And, if the mothers didn't smoke, then what was the case? Did the mothers
> suddenly start smoking at birth? Did the fathers smoke. "And if so, how
> much time did the fathers spend blowing smoke in the babies faces? Anyway,
> I decided that it was just another bogus anti-smoking statistic, developed
> with no meaningful population and certainly, with no control group.

Yes, in that sort of case they might be attributing the deaths of all babies
who had a smoking parent to second-hand smoke, regardless of what the babies
actually died from. Without knowing the details of how the figure was
arrived at it's impossible to evaluate the claim.

From: Bill Graham on

> On 2009-11-15 16:47:38 -0800, "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net>
> said:
>

>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> ...but remember accurate fire from a moving, rough riding stagecoach
>>> with
>>> a rifle would be a rare thing.
>>> There was a reason the favored weapon was a shotgun. Many of those
>>> guards
>>> used a Greener 10 gauge, loaded with OO buck, that is a heavy load of
>>> lead. Greener also developed the first decent choke for shotguns and
>>> self
>>> ejector, making the lighter 12 gauge practical. It was the most copied
>>> design for double barreled shotguns until John Moses Browning
>>
>> John Mose Browning, not Moses. Probably it's a common mistake.
>

> This has got to be the first time I have heard "Mose"
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Moses_Browning
> http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWbrowningJ.htm
> http://www.american-inventor.com/john-moses-browning.aspx
> http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/81839/John-Moses-Browning
>
> so if you have a citation for "Mose" it would be interesting to see.
>

>>> made his innovations and introduced the Winchester 1893 pump, perfecting
>>> it with the 1897.
>>>
>>> You might say Greener was Britain's contribution to the American West.
>>
>> Are you sure those guards used Greeners? There were American 10-ga.
>> shotguns
>> too, and I would think that Greeners would be pretty expensive for that
>> purpose -- though not nearly as expensive as the "London-made" guns of
>> course.
>
> Greeners were first introduced in the US around 1869 and their reputation
> for function and reliability was so good they quickly became the favored
> shotgun for guards and Law enforcement. They were certainly the best of
> shotguns in those days.
>
> Greener also made some of the most expensive custom double rifles, but
> these were mainly used in Africa and the colonies.
>
> Good guns always commanded high prices, as they do today.
> I know, my Kimber set me back $1200.
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/G-Kimber-CDP-LAc.jpg

Nice looking autoloader....Is it 9 mm?

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-15 17:24:37 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2009-11-15 16:47:38 -0800, "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> said:
>>

>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> John Mose Browning, not Moses. Probably it's a common mistake.
>>

>> This has got to be the first time I have heard "Mose"
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Moses_Browning
>> http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWbrowningJ.htm
>> http://www.american-inventor.com/john-moses-browning.aspx
>> http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/81839/John-Moses-Browning
>>
>> so if you have a citation for "Mose" it would be interesting to see.

>>> Are you sure those guards used Greeners? There were American 10-ga. shotguns
>>> too, and I would think that Greeners would be pretty expensive for that
>>> purpose -- though not nearly as expensive as the "London-made" guns of
>>> course.
>>
>> Greeners were first introduced in the US around 1869 and their
>> reputation for function and reliability was so good they quickly became
>> the favored shotgun for guards and Law enforcement. They were certainly
>> the best of shotguns in those days.
>>
>> Greener also made some of the most expensive custom double rifles, but
>> these were mainly used in Africa and the colonies.
>>
>> Good guns always commanded high prices, as they do today.
>> I know, my Kimber set me back $1200.
>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/G-Kimber-CDP-LAc.jpg
>>

> Nice looking autoloader....Is it 9 mm?

That sir is a good old 1911 design 45 ACP! Not some pissy 9mm.

9mm indeed?? !!!!

For doublestack I have a Glock Model 23 in 40 S&W.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Bill Graham on

> On 2009-11-15 17:24:37 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:
>

>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> This has got to be the first time I have heard "Mose"
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Moses_Browning
>>> http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWbrowningJ.htm
>>> http://www.american-inventor.com/john-moses-browning.aspx
>>> http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/81839/John-Moses-Browning
>>>
>>> so if you have a citation for "Mose" it would be interesting to see.

>>> Greeners were first introduced in the US around 1869 and their
>>> reputation for function and reliability was so good they quickly became
>>> the favored shotgun for guards and Law enforcement. They were certainly
>>> the best of shotguns in those days.
>>>
>>> Greener also made some of the most expensive custom double rifles, but
>>> these were mainly used in Africa and the colonies.
>>>
>>> Good guns always commanded high prices, as they do today.
>>> I know, my Kimber set me back $1200.
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/G-Kimber-CDP-LAc.jpg
>>>

>> Nice looking autoloader....Is it 9 mm?
>

> That sir is a good old 1911 design 45 ACP! Not some pissy 9mm.
>
> 9mm indeed?? !!!!
>
> For doublestack I have a Glock Model 23 in 40 S&W.
>
> --
Well! - Sorrrrrry. I used to have a colt auto chambered in 9 mm. It was the
most reliable auto I ever had. Generally, I preferred to carry revolvers,
because I needed to know they were going to go off if I ever had to fire
them. Also, I wanted to walk away with my empties still in the chamber and
not lying someplace on the ground.