From: Neil Harrington on

"Eric Stevens" <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:03:47 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
> <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:
>

>>"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> It seems we left our history far behind. Have you ever noticed where the
>>> good old Wells Fargo stage coach driver sat, ...on the right, shotgun on
>>> the left.
>>
>>Apparently that was the standard arrangement for all horse and buggy
>>drivers
>>too. (Going by the movies, anyway.)
>>
>>And it's still the standard position for whoever's steering a power boat.
>>
>>At least some of the earliest American automobiles had right-hand drive
>>also. Now I'm wondering where and why left-hand drive got started. Perhaps
>>it was because the gearshift was centrally located, and it's more natural
>>work that with the dominant hand, which for 90% of people is the right
>>one.
>>

> Blame Napoleon. He laid down the law for France and at the beginning
> of the 20th century France dominated the automobile industry.

But sans Napoleon.

From: Neil Harrington on

> On 2009-11-14 17:01:56 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:
>

>> "George Kerby" <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> On 11/14/09 9:03 AM, in article
>>> 8LudnUMIR_9IW2PXnZ2dnUVZ_ridnZ2d(a)giganews.com, "Neil Harrington"

>> Did the Indians frequently attack power boats?
>
> Only in the Spring.

And Indian Summer. They hated noisy outboards and water skiers especially.

From: Bob Larter on
Bill Graham wrote:

> "Bob Larter" <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Bill Graham wrote:
>>>
>>> "J�rgen Exner" <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> None. It's just a slang term. Actually, when it comes to a cup of
>>> coffee, it's usually closer to 1/4 liter than a cup, which is 1/4 of
>>> a quart. You have to remember that the world is 99% housewives, and
>>> only 1% engineers.
>>
>> A metric cup *is* 1/4 of a liter.
>>
> The most common coffee cup used here in the US is the Corning, "Correll
> Ware" cup, and it is almost exactly 250 cc's.

Well, there you go. You're already used to one common metric measure.

From: Bob Larter on
Savageduck wrote:
> On 2009-11-14 16:44:39 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:
>

>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> I think it was a case of right handed shotgun shooters out numbering
>>> left handed shooters. That way they wouldn't have to replace a driver
>>> every time a left handed guard blew the driver away. Maybe a
>>> qualification for shotgun guards was to be right handed.
>>>
>>> Maybe there was a rule of the road that stagecoach robbers had a "rob
>>> from left side" only sense of etiquette. ;-)
>>>

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Savageduck
>>>
>> Maybe it had something to do with which side the shells were ejected
>> from when the rifle action was worked....It would be very annoying to
>> the driver if the hot shell casings were ejected into his face while
>> he was trying to get away from the bad guys.....
>
> A left handed shotgun guard would be pointing his shotgun at the driver
> on the left, when sitting on the right side, instead of pointing it
> safely off to the right.
> In any sort of a fight who cares where the empty cases go?

Dunno about you, but I'd prefer them not to go flying towards my pants.

From: Ray Fischer on
tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 21:03:59 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
><nospamclayton(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>US units are a shambolic mess, inconsistent with each other and almost
>>completely irrational for dealing with the real world.
>>
>And yet we manage.

Only just.

>The world that each of us lives in is the "real world". We, who live
>in the US, have no problem dealing with our system.

"No problem"?? How many yards in a mile? How many feet in a quarter
mile? How many teaspoons in a cup? If you don't know those offhand
then you obviously have problems dealing with the system.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net