From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-14 23:34:52 -0800, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> said:

> Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2009-11-14 16:44:39 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:
>>

>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> Maybe it had something to do with which side the shells were ejected
>>> from when the rifle action was worked....It would be very annoying to
>>> the driver if the hot shell casings were ejected into his face while he
>>> was trying to get away from the bad guys.....
>>
>> A left handed shotgun guard would be pointing his shotgun at the driver
>> on the left, when sitting on the right side, instead of pointing it
>> safely off to the right.
>> In any sort of a fight who cares where the empty cases go?
>
> Dunno about you, but I'd prefer them not to go flying towards my pants.

I'd rather be hit by a shell case than take a load of buckshot..

I have had hot shell cases go down the back of my shirt, and bounce off
my head, but when you are in that moment you don't even notice. You
have other things to deal with.

I know of one cop who broke his hand on the bolt handle of an MP3 and
didn't realize it until the situation was resolved. Shell cases flying
around are the least of your problems.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: tony cooper on
On 15 Nov 2009 06:48:13 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

>tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>>On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 21:03:59 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
>><nospamclayton(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>>US units are a shambolic mess, inconsistent with each other and almost
>>>completely irrational for dealing with the real world.
>>>
>>And yet we manage.
>
>Only just.
>
>>The world that each of us lives in is the "real world". We, who live
>>in the US, have no problem dealing with our system.
>
>"No problem"?? How many yards in a mile? How many feet in a quarter
>mile? How many teaspoons in a cup? If you don't know those offhand
>then you obviously have problems dealing with the system.

If you have a legitimate example of how we have a problem with the
system, then state it. Examples of computations never needed, or
computations that can be easily performed on paper, mean nothing.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: J. Clarke on
tony cooper wrote:
> On 15 Nov 2009 06:48:13 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>
>> tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> And yet we manage.
>>
>> Only just.
>>
>>> The world that each of us lives in is the "real world". We, who
>>> live in the US, have no problem dealing with our system.
>>
>> "No problem"?? How many yards in a mile? How many feet in a quarter
>> mile? How many teaspoons in a cup? If you don't know those offhand
>> then you obviously have problems dealing with the system.
>
> If you have a legitimate example of how we have a problem with the
> system, then state it. Examples of computations never needed, or
> computations that can be easily performed on paper, mean nothing.

And anyone for whom it _is_ an issue can answer off the top of my head.
Most drag racers will tell you instantly that there are 1320 feet in a
quarter mile for example.

From: Neil Harrington on

"Bob Larter" <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2009-11-14 16:44:39 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:
>>

>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> Maybe it had something to do with which side the shells were ejected
>>> from when the rifle action was worked....It would be very annoying to
>>> the driver if the hot shell casings were ejected into his face while he
>>> was trying to get away from the bad guys.....
>>
>> A left handed shotgun guard would be pointing his shotgun at the driver
>> on the left, when sitting on the right side, instead of pointing it
>> safely off to the right.
>> In any sort of a fight who cares where the empty cases go?
>
> Dunno about you, but I'd prefer them not to go flying towards my pants.

Why? I don't think getting hit by an empty shotgun shell would be much to
worry about. Except for the head, it's just cardboard and/or plastic.

Many years ago I was in a U.S. Revolver Association match in Mass. (the name
of the association was by that time a misnomer, since most shooters used
automatics except in one or two revolver-only matches). The competitors were
all crammed onto one long, open shooting bench, no screens in between, and
we were so close together that I was not only getting hit by empties from
the guy on my left but also some empties from the guy on *his* left. It was
very annoying when you were trying to concentrate, but nothing really
painful even when the hits were in the head.

From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:14:02 -0500, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:

>tony cooper wrote:

>>> Only just.

>>> "No problem"?? How many yards in a mile? How many feet in a quarter
>>> mile? How many teaspoons in a cup? If you don't know those offhand
>>> then you obviously have problems dealing with the system.
>>
>> If you have a legitimate example of how we have a problem with the
>> system, then state it. Examples of computations never needed, or
>> computations that can be easily performed on paper, mean nothing.
>
>And anyone for whom it _is_ an issue can answer off the top of my head.
>Most drag racers will tell you instantly that there are 1320 feet in a
>quarter mile for example.

Exactly. I have a brother who moved to Europe 40-some years ago. He
gives dimensions in centimeters, meters, kilometers, etc. I give
dimensions in inches, feet, yards, miles, etc. Each of us knows how
to convert. Either one of us can describe size, weight, distance, etc
so that the other can understand.

The only descriptive unit that is difficult to convert is the monetary
unit. I can go to a conversion chart or on-line convertor, but the
relationship between our two forms of currency changes as the exchange
rate changes. One hundred of his monetary units does not have the
same value in US$s at different times.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida