From: Chris H on
In message <1e00g51800npsuco24380ml1u76jrfa7lf(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>On 15 Nov 2009 06:48:13 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>
>>tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>>>And yet we manage.
>>
>>Only just.
>>
>>>The world that each of us lives in is the "real world". We, who live
>>>in the US, have no problem dealing with our system.
>>
>>"No problem"?? How many yards in a mile? How many feet in a quarter
>>mile? How many teaspoons in a cup? If you don't know those offhand
>>then you obviously have problems dealing with the system.
>
>If you have a legitimate example of how we have a problem with the
>system, then state it.

Interfacing with the rest of the world.

From: Neil Harrington on

"Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message

>>> The Kg to pounds conversion both pass through zero....That is, 0 pounds
>>> is also 0 kilograms. but the temperature conversion doesn't share this
>>> feature.
>>
>> Right, and that is what makes it much more difficult to do in your head,
>> unless moving in some convenient increment. For example, every 10 degrees
>> C = 18 degrees F, so if you start with 20 C which we know without doing
>> the math is 68 F, moving up or down from there by 10s C is just a matter
>> of adding or subtracting 18s F. So that's easy. Less convenient numbers
>> in either scale are not so easy.
>>
>>> They both pass through -40 degrees, however......
>>
>> Which is little help, as far as convenience goes.
>
> It helps me, because I can never remember the conversion formula, so I
> have to develop it every time I need it.......IOW, I have to solve the two
> equations in two unknowns in order to come up with the A, and B in F=A x C
> plus B. The common -40 degree point helps me to do this more easily.

But you still have to remember also that there are 1.8 F degrees to each C
degree, or else knowing they cross at -40 doesn't really do anything for
you.

But whatever works for you, works. For me, it's easiest to just remember
that 32 F is 0 C, and each C degree is 1.8 degrees F.

From: Neil Harrington on

"J�rgen Exner" <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:
>>"Doug McDonald" <mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu.remove.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> WHAT??? It most certainly IS linear!
>>
>>Not the conversion.
>
> Of coures it is linear.
> What else would it possibly be? Square? Polynomial? Exponentional?
> Logarithmic? Constant?
>
> Just another example that you have no clue what you are talking about.
>
>>10 kg. on the other hand is about 22 lbs., therefore 5 kg is 11 lbs., 20
>>kg
>>is 44 lbs., 100 kg is 220 lbs., and so on. That's what I mean by linear.
>
> Oh, right. What _YOU_ mean by linear. I see. Just like what _YOU_ meant
> by metric.

"Linear" is a word that (like most words in English) has a number of
meanings, but basically it means "in a straight line." My use of it was
probably not the best, but I have explained what I meant in terms that could
probably be understood even by someone of very limited intelligence,
provided he was paying a moderate amount of attention. Again, I simply meant
that some conversions are easy in that they require only one operation of
multiplication or division, as opposed to the conversion between Fahrenheit
and Centigrade.

The point was not about the meaning of "linear," but about the relative
difficulty of that conversion as opposed to something like kilograms to
pounds which you can easily do in your head. If the F and C scales both had
the same zero that conversion would be equally easy, but they do not.

I hope this expanded explanation will help you get your panties unwadded.

From: Neil Harrington on

"Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message
> In message <1e00g51800npsuco24380ml1u76jrfa7lf(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes

>>>Only just.

>>>"No problem"?? How many yards in a mile? How many feet in a quarter
>>>mile? How many teaspoons in a cup? If you don't know those offhand
>>>then you obviously have problems dealing with the system.
>>
>>If you have a legitimate example of how we have a problem with the
>>system, then state it.
>
> Interfacing with the rest of the world.

What specifically is the problem?

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-16 01:00:35 -0800, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> said:

> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:25:50 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Eric Stevens" <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote in message

>>> But sans Napoleon.
>>>
>> Hummmm.....I wonder if France had stagecoaches before their automobiles, and
>> if so, were they operated from the left or right sides?
>
> Where ever they were operated from, ever since Napoleon they drove on
> the right.

Cite. You authority is in as much doubt as ours.

--
Regards,

Savageduck