From: Chris H on
In message <2009111606474899097-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes
>On 2009-11-16 06:07:32 -0800, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> said:
>
>> In message <2009111605502095335-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes

>>> Cite. You authority is in as much doubt as ours.
>> I would be interested too... though it sounds plausible. Napoleon
>>was
>> into Standards and making France the Centre Of The World.
>
>Napoleon might have set the French standard just to be different to the
>English.

Shirley not? :-)

Mind you The US did it just to be different to Europe. It was all
political

>The bottom line is, one way or another we are all stuck in history.

And doomed to repeat it!

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-16 07:31:45 -0800, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> said:

> In message <2009111606474899097-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes
>> On 2009-11-16 06:07:32 -0800, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> said:
>>
>>> In message <2009111605502095335-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck
>>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes

>>> I would be interested too... though it sounds plausible. Napoleon
>>> was
>>> into Standards and making France the Centre Of The World.
>>
>> Napoleon might have set the French standard just to be different to the
>> English.
>
> Shirley not? :-)

Don't call me Shirley!

> Mind you The US did it just to be different to Europe. It was all
> political

If that were true we would all be riding pogo sticks, and who knows we
might be soon enough.

>> The bottom line is, one way or another we are all stuck in history.
>
> And doomed to repeat it!

Actually Santayana wrote, "Those who cannot remember the past are
condemned to repeat it." Santayana's Law of Repetitive Consequences.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: tony cooper on
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:19:43 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
wrote:

>In message <pcq2g5lvb9cibin55fnructdunko0sr6ls(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>>On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:04:02 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>The US will have to use the International systems when talking to the
>>>rest of the world. This means doing lots of conversions, holding dual
>>>stock etc
>>>
>>>For example the whole world uses ISO A4 and the US uses US letter.... so
>>>when the US want to communicate with the rest of the world it has to use
>>>A4 and for internal use uses Letter.
>>
>>Are you saying that if an American - individual or corporate entity -
>>wants to send a letter to a foreign entity that the letter must be on
>>A4 paper for the foreign entity to read it?
>
>No. That would be silly
>
>> That non-Americans are
>>unable to understand something because it is written on paper that is
>>8.5" x 11"?
>>You've said some stupid things because of your anti-American bias, but
>>this tops most of them.
>
>If you want to send a paper to a conference, to a standards organisation
>etc or an official document to a Government etc then Yes it will have
>to go on A4 paper.

Why would that be a problem for us? Anyone in the position of sending
things to an international conference or standards organization would
be able to format their word processing to A4 and slip A4 paper in
their printer. I doubt, though, that another government entity would
refuse a paper on US letter stock. Our government would not refuse a
letter from your government because the paper size was not the same as
ours.

Do you seriously think that we would scrap billions of dollars worth
of filing cabinets, file folders, and paper stock because twits like
you have their knickers in a twist because we don't march to your
drummer?

By the way, was Gordon Brown's "hastily scrawled note", spelling the
name incorrectly, to Jamie's mother on the proper paper?

We don't refuse your sales literature because it doesn't fit our
racks. Although, that's not really a salient point because their
aren't that many UK-made products that we're interested in buying.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:29:38 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
wrote:

>In message <cnq2g5tp8hnehc3iu4i36m5p4i932deuse(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>>On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:21:54 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>SO a revolver jam is usually fatal. This is why autos have a reputation
>>>for jamming, people cleared them and lived to tell the tail.
>>
>>So they had a brush with death?
>>
>>(I'm sure that pun is over your head, so I'll explain that a fox's
>>tail is called a "brush".)
>
>I used to live in Gloucestershire.

They didn't teach you about homonyms, and when to use "tale" and when
to use "tail", there?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Tzortzakakis Dimitrios on

? "Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> ?????? ??? ??????
> In message <gZGdnYq9CITE_5zWnZ2dnUVZ_gWdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
> Harrington <secret(a)illumnati.net> writes
>>
>>"Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message
>>> In message <c-CdnXIhyIZ0ypzWnZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
>>> Harrington <secret(a)illumnati.net> writes

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units
>

>>> For example the whole world uses ISO A4 and the US uses US letter.... so
>>> when the US want to communicate with the rest of the world it has to use
>>> A4 and for internal use uses Letter.
>>
>>Why? I have sent letters to European companies using our letter size and
>>received replies from them, probably on their A4 size (they're close
>>enough
>>that I never noticed any difference). Where's the problem?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size
>
> http://betweenborders.com/wordsmithing/a4-vs-us-letter/
>
> For a lot of Official use it has to be on A sizes. Also Letter size
> advertising does not fit standard size literature racks. It is getting
> better as more of the US uses International standards.
>
>>> Dates are another problem the whole world bar the USA uses DD/MM/YY and
>>> the US uses MM/DD/YY it causes problems.
>>
>>Again, not a problem. If I write "November 16" and you write "16
>>November,"
>>do either of us misunderstand the other? Besides, your statement is not
>>quite correct.
>
> True but if I write 9/11/2001 when is it? November or September? Well
> everywhere except the US it is November. Though obviously "9/11" has a
> life of it's own.
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601
>
>> MM/DD/YY is our standard civilian form, but our military has
>>used DD/MM/YY for many years.
>
> It had to as the US military needed to talk to people other than US
> civilians. As I said it is only a problem where the US wants to talk to
> the rest of the world. If having the worlds largest army does not help
> then eventually you will have to change.... BTW that is why the US now
> uses 9mm rather than .45 and NATO uses 556 rather than 7.62

We used .45 browning pistols, the BMG .50 cartridge (API) and the standard
7.62 (.30) NATO caliber. 5.56 is a smaller calliber (I think .20) which is
supposed to be more humane to the target, thus the person being shot. That
was the greek mechanized infantry. Of course, all the fluids are measured in
liters, the tank (G 127 "Leonidas" armored fighting vehicle) has 2 tanks
with each 181 liters of diesel which give it an endurance of 520 km.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering