From: J�rgen Exner on
"Neil Harrington" <not(a)home.today> wrote:

>"J�rgen Exner" <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:
>>>The bothersome one is Fahrenheit to Centigrade (or Celsius as they've
>>>decided to call it for some silly reason),
>>
>> Actually it's quite obvious: those are not 1/100th of a degree (as the
>> prefix centi implies) but honest to god, true, full degrees.
>
>[...]. Or go back to calling it
>Centigrade, which makes more sense.

I don't even know why I bother. Celsius replaced centigrade in 1948,
because there were too many terminology conficts even at that time. That
was over 70 years(!!!) ago.

You are so stuck in the first half of the past century, there is really
no point in discussing anything with you.
Don't worry, you won't be hearing from me again, enough is enough:

*PLONK*

jue
From: Bill Graham on

"MikeW" <admin(a)127.1.1.1> wrote in message
> Degrees Celcius to degrees Fahrenheit: double C, take off a tenth of the
> result, add 32. Always works.
>
> Degrees Fahrenheit to degrees Celcius: take off 32, halve the result, add
> a tenth. Certainly close enough for Government work.
>
> MikeW
>
> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message

>>> I can't agree that it's, "non linear". Both scales are straight lines
>>> that happen to cross at -40 degrees.
>>
>> Yes, they are linear in that way. What I meant was that converting one to
>> the other is not a simple matter of multiplication or division, as is the
>> case with kilograms and pounds. "Non-linear" was perhaps not the best way
>> of describing that.
>>
>>> People learn the important conversions for the work they do. Most nurses
>>> know that 98.6 F is 37 C for example.
>>
>> I doubt most nurses do know that, since Fahrenheit is still used for body
>> temp, or was the last I knew. But anyway *knowing* 98.6 F is 37 C would
>> not mean they could do the conversion. I've worked with a lot of nurses
>> over a period of 30+ years and I can tell you with confidence that most
>> of them couldn't do the conversion and get an accurate result.
>>
>> Just *one* of my doctors' offices has switched to metric scales, and that
>> was only in the last year or so. The others still weigh you in good ol'
>> pounds. The one that did switch, after I commented that I liked the look
>> of my weight much better in kilograms, the nurse came back in a few
>> minutes and told me what it was in pounds. When I asked if she'd done
>> that in her head she said No, and produced a *table* showing the
>> equivalents. I had already done the conversion in my head, which after
>> all is just a matter of multiplying by 2.2. Now if a nurse can't do that
>> in her head but needs a printed table for it, she sure as hell can't
>> convert C to F or vice versa.

The ones in my doctor's office just stick a "gun" in your ear, and get your
temp in either F or C in a matter of seconds......

From: Bill Graham on

"Eric Stevens" <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:14:46 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> Yes, stagecoaches and horse-drawn buggies were always driven from the
>>> right. I've never seen any picture showing otherwise.
>>Strange....I wonder why their replacement automobiles were developed to be
>>operated from the left side?
>
> I've already told you. It was Napoleon.

Did Napoleon drive a Citroen or a Peugeot?

From: Neil Harrington on

> On 2009-11-16 15:26:17 -0800, "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net>
> said:
>

>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> Talking from a Law enforcement point of view, a hollow point round such
>>> as
>>> a Hydra-Shok with +P loads in 38SP, 9mm, 40 S&W or 45 ACP give an
>>> enormous
>>> transmission of energy into the target. As a double tap into that target
>>> is more likely than not, going to eliminate that particular threat.
>>>
>>> Indoors in urban situations where there might be over penetration
>>> issues,
>>> frangible ammo such as Glaser or MagSafe rounds are very effective. They
>>> actually have a far more effective energy transmission and stopping
>>> power
>>> than some hollow points, as they expend all their energy on contact,
>>> rather than using that energy to penetrate.
>>>
>>> Naturally Frangibles and hollow points are not Geneva Convention
>>> friendly.
>>>
>>> I use both Federal Premium Law Enforcement +P Tactical Hydro-Shok and
>>> COR-BON +P Glaser, in 40 S&W and 45 ACP.
>>>
>>> When just burning up brass and punching paper I go through a lot of
>>> Winchester "White box" FMJ and reloads.
>>
>> Probably 95% of everything I've ever fired (except rimfires of course)
>> has
>> been my own handloads. I handloaded for everything I owned -- except a
>> French Model 1935A automatic that I never could figure out what to do
>> with
>> and finally sold. I even handloaded for a French Mle. 1892 8mm revolver,
>> using .32-20 cases trimmed back to suit and sized in a .30 Carbine die,
>> then
>> loaded with lubed but unsized bullets from an ancient Lyman mould made
>> for
>> the .32-44 target revolver. Now that was interesting! No loading data for
>> that round of course, and the Mle. 1892 was actually a black powder
>> cartridge (almost certainly the very last black powder round still in
>> service use in World War II), but I just winged it with about 2 gr. of
>> Bullseye and it worked fine.
>>
>> I'm sorry I sold that Mle. 1892. Perfectly useless of course, but an
>> interesting piece. Cylinder swung out to the right. Odd people, the
>> French.
>
> I haven't reloaded in years, and then it was mainly 38 SP target loads. I
> am still sitting on several 100 plastic 38 boxes and 1000s of cases,
> primers, etc, etc.

I haven't done any loading for years either, chiefly because I've done very
little shooting in the last several years. I still have my Dillon press and
all components in my walk-in closet, and I'll get around to doing some
sooner or later. I still have a pretty good stock of handloads.

My problem now will probably be finding a good place to shoot. I have
"lifetime" privileges (because I was one of those who helped finance it) to
the state association's pistol range, which is next to (and on land leased
from) a commercial range which is within 10 miles of me. The problem there
is that the lease has long expired, and the last time I was out there the
commercial range owner was already getting grumpy about shooters using that
range for free instead of paying to shoot at his range. And the range was
originally intended just for competition shooters in registered matches and
tournaments, which I have not been one of since the '70s. And that range
owner is already facing legal and financial problems because of homeowners'
complaints about bullets arriving on their property, even though there's
probably at least a mile and a good-sized hill between the range and their
homes. It's hard to imagine anyone at the range shooting over the hill, but
who knows. Since I haven't been out there for a few years I don't know what
the situation is now, but my guess is my "lifetime" privileges have expired.

From: Bill Graham on

> "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> That sir is a good old 1911 design 45 ACP! Not some pissy 9mm.
>>>
>>> 9mm indeed?? !!!!
>>>
>>> For doublestack I have a Glock Model 23 in 40 S&W.
>>>
>>> --
>> Well! - Sorrrrrry. I used to have a colt auto chambered in 9 mm. It was
>> the most reliable auto I ever had.
>
> You can't beat the good old 9mm, but you'll never convince .45 fanciers of
> that. They all have an abiding faith in those pumpkin rollers and are
> impervious to reason. ;-)
>
> I've owned a lot of .45s myself, but all my automatics now (apart from
> rimfires of course) are either 9mm or 9mm short, and my revolvers are all
> .38/.357. It's just the ideal bore size. If God owned a handgun it would
> be in some 9mm/.38 caliber.
>
>> Generally, I preferred to carry revolvers, because I needed to know they
>> were going to go off if I ever had to fire them. Also, I wanted to walk
>> away with my empties still in the chamber and not lying someplace on the
>> ground.
>
> Yes, there are some obvious advantages to that. However, as far as
> reliability goes revolvers can have their problems too. I have a nice
> little S&W .38 hammerless on a light alloy frame, lovely thing to carry,
> almost brand new but it needs to see a gunsmith because it's stopped
> shooting -- something inside is cramped or binding. And I once had a
> brand-new Colt Agent that wouldn't work either. (Fortunately I'm only
> about 15 miles from the Colt factory, but it would've been bad luck if I'd
> just loaded that thing, put it away and some day had to use it in a
> hurry.)
I had a model 38, and carried it for years. I liked the shrouded hammer, and
the lightweight alloy frame....The gun served me well. I would fire it on
the range about once every 6 months, and it never misfired for me......I
normally carried it with the plus P ammo in it.....