From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 00:08:05 +1000, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>tony cooper wrote:

>>> Not possible now. Too many purpose designed roads

>>> No not to mine but the whole world except the US
>>
>> The point is that you say it's impossible for one little island to
>> change from driving on the left to driving on the right, but expect
>> the entire US - which dwarfs that island in size and population - to
>> change their entire system of weights and measures.
>
>By that logic, the USA should switch everything to what the Chinese use.

You really don't understand what was said, do you?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Tzortzakakis Dimitrios on

? "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> ?????? ??? ??????
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
>> ? "Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> ?????? ??? ??????
>>> In message <gZGdnYq9CITE_5zWnZ2dnUVZ_gWdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
>>> Harrington <secret(a)illumnati.net> writes

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size
>>>
>>> http://betweenborders.com/wordsmithing/a4-vs-us-letter/
>>>
>>> For a lot of Official use it has to be on A sizes. Also Letter size
>>> advertising does not fit standard size literature racks. It is
>>> getting better as more of the US uses International standards.

>>> True but if I write 9/11/2001 when is it? November or September? Well
>>> everywhere except the US it is November. Though obviously "9/11" has
>>> a life of it's own.
>>>

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

>>> It had to as the US military needed to talk to people other than US
>>> civilians. As I said it is only a problem where the US wants to talk
>>> to the rest of the world. If having the worlds largest army does not
>>> help then eventually you will have to change.... BTW that is why the
>>> US now uses 9mm rather than .45 and NATO uses 556 rather than 7.62
>>>
>> We used .45 browning pistols, the BMG .50 cartridge (API) and the
>> standard
>> 7.62 (.30) NATO caliber. 5.56 is a smaller calliber (I think .20)
>> which is supposed to be more humane to the target, thus the person
>> being shot.
>
> 5.56 is also known as .223 Remington (there is a very tiny dimensional
> difference in the case that might cause problems with a few firearms, but
> it
> was originally a civilian cartridge) and it is used not because it is
> "more
> humane to the target" but because it has less recoil than 7.62mm NATO,
> thus
> allowing controllable full auto fire hand-held, and is lighter, thus
> allowing soldiers to carry more ammunition. Note that the first time
> 5.56mm
> was put into service it was by the US military in Vietnam, it's not
> something that the US adapted as a result of pressure from somebody in the
> EU. No other nation wanted anything to do with it until the US got the
> bugs
> out of the M-16, which, as initially issued, was pretty poor.

I was told so by officers, and they said that wherever a 7.62 bullet hits
you you will most certainly die,
not so like with 5.56. How many rounds does a soldier need to carry?Normal
GIs carry their G3A3
(5 1/2 kilos), bayonet and 5 magazines each 20 rounds.
Each machine gunner the HK11 (8 1/2 kilos) and 13 magazines with 20 rounds
but no bayonet.
> The 9mm pistol was adopted by the US military mainly due to the difficulty
> of training soldiers to shoot the .45 accurately--again it trades power
> for
> controllability and lighter ammunition. The 9mm cartridge had been in use
> worldwide for around a half a century at the time so why develop a new
> one?

I did 5 out of 6 with the .45 and I wear glasses and am very short-sighted
(There were 6 rounds in the mag and 5 hit the target).Indeed the .45 recoils
a lot. The same the G3A3 which is much lighter than the HK11 and they
share the same round. I did 70% from 300 meters with the HK11.
Note that the sights of the .50 BMG are etched in yards. Unlike the
(european) MG3 machine gun which are in meters.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

From: Tzortzakakis Dimitrios on

? "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> ???a?e st? �???�a

> "Neil Harrington" <not(a)home.today> wrote in message
>>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> I haven't reloaded in years, and then it was mainly 38 SP target loads.
>>> I am still sitting on several 100 plastic 38 boxes and 1000s of cases,
>>> primers, etc, etc.
>>
>> I haven't done any loading for years either, chiefly because I've done
>> very little shooting in the last several years. I still have my Dillon
>> press and all components in my walk-in closet, and I'll get around to
>> doing some sooner or later. I still have a pretty good stock of
>> handloads.
>>
>> My problem now will probably be finding a good place to shoot. I have
>> "lifetime" privileges (because I was one of those who helped finance it)
>> to the state association's pistol range, which is next to (and on land
>> leased from) a commercial range which is within 10 miles of me. The
>> problem there is that the lease has long expired, and the last time I was
>> out there the commercial range owner was already getting grumpy about
>> shooters using that range for free instead of paying to shoot at his
>> range. And the range was originally intended just for competition
>> shooters in registered matches and tournaments, which I have not been one
>> of since the '70s. And that range owner is already facing legal and
>> financial problems because of homeowners' complaints about bullets
>> arriving on their property, even though there's probably at least a mile
>> and a good-sized hill between the range and their homes. It's hard to
>> imagine anyone at the range shooting over the hill, but who knows. Since
>> I haven't been out there for a few years I don't know what the situation
>> is now, but my guess is my "lifetime" privileges have expired.
>>
> If you want to continue shooting fine weapons at a very reasonable price,
> consider buying yourself an air pistol. They are extremely well made, the
> ammo is very cheap, and you can fire them in your living room and/or
> basement without disturbing the neighbors. They are also more accurate
> than firearms. Their initial expense is greater. (a good one will run you
> over a thousand dollars) but after that, the ammo is very cheap. (around a
> penny each round)
Seconded. I have a comet (spanish) rifle that cost me 25,000 drachmas (75
euros) in 1999, and you get a box of rounds for 10 euros (500 IIRC). It has
a rifled barrel, and adjustable sights.

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-17 06:12:48 -0800, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <noone(a)nospam.com> said:

> <------------------------------------Le
> Snip----------------------------------------------->

> I did 5 out of 6 with the .45 and I wear glasses and am very short-sighted
> (There were 6 rounds in the mag and 5 hit the target).Indeed the .45 recoils
> a lot. The same the G3A3 which is much lighter than the HK11 and they
> share the same round. I did 70% from 300 meters with the HK11.
> Note that the sights of the .50 BMG are etched in yards. Unlike the
> (european) MG3 machine gun which are in meters.

Wearing glasses and being short sighted shouldn't be a problem. You
should be focused on the front sight not the target.
With a little practice this is what you should be able to do with a .45.

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Target-0076c.jpg

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Chris H on
In message <4b02a037$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>, Bob Larter
<bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> writes
>tony cooper wrote:

>>> Not possible now. Too many purpose designed roads

>>> No not to mine but the whole world except the US
>> The point is that you say it's impossible for one little island to
>> change from driving on the left to driving on the right, but expect
>> the entire US - which dwarfs that island in size and population - to
>> change their entire system of weights and measures.
>
>By that logic, the USA should switch everything to what the Chinese use.

It will do given time.... about 2 decades :-)