From: Neil Harrington on
Bill Graham wrote:
> "Eric Stevens" <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:14:46 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message

>>> Strange....I wonder why their replacement automobiles were
>>> developed to be operated from the left side?
>>
>> I've already told you. It was Napoleon.
>>
> Did Napoleon drive a Citroen or a Peugeot?

Renault Dauphine, very early model with the horse in back. Also they all had
the same electrical system then, unlike the Dauphines they sold over here in
the 1960s or whenever it was. Some of those came with 6-volt systems and
others with 12-volt, apparently according to which they felt like making
that day.

An odd people, the French.

From: Chris H on
In message <d1bc5075-0b95-4aa3-92b9-a99e2782a57b(a)j9g2000prh.googlegroups
..com>, Twibil <nowayjose6(a)gmail.com> writes
>On Nov 16, 9:14�pm, J�rgen Exner <jurge...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I don't even know why I bother. Celsius replaced centigrade in 1948,
>> because there were too many terminology conficts even at that time. That
>> was over 70 years(!!!) ago.
>
>Er, 1948 was *61* years ago the way the rest of us count things.
>
>Perhaps this explains why your numerical arguments are gaining so
>little traction.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand
binary......

From: Chris H on
In message <2dednX5Gq_8VSJ_WnZ2dnUVZ_r6dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
Harrington <secret(a)illumnati.net> writes
>Chris H wrote:
>>> No one really seems to know "what had happened to Glen (sic)
>>> Miller," though there are plenty of stories and theories, none of
>>> them having anything to do with metric as far as I'm aware.
>>
>> They do know what happened. The problem was due to standards. The US
>> military used a different time to the rest of us (ie the UK which is
>> where he flew from) . There was a 1 hour difference. This was not
>> realised in the initial investigations.
>>
>> His aircraft was seen just before it went into the sea but as it was
>> not on the route and an hour out it was discarded.
>>
>> When the hour time difference was taken in to account and the position
>> checked it was realised that it was the only possible option. His
>> aircraft was spotted by a Canadian in an RAF bomber. The Canadian had
>> trained on the rather distinctive American aircraft Glenn miller was
>> flying in.
>>
>> They had gone a little south from their route. The winds at the time
>> and in that area accounted for it. They flew into a bomb dump zone
>> as some aircraft were returning to the UK. They ditched their bombs
>> as required.
>>
>> As they did so the Canadian gunner saw the aircraft a long way below.
>> It was hit by a falling bomb.
>>
>> Recently last 5 years they did find some wreckage for that type of
>> aircraft in the position indicated by the gunner. They did not find
>> any serial numbers or bodies.
>>
>> However Glen millers aircraft was the only one if it's type flying
>> over the English Channel that day. The wreckage was found where the
>> the gunner said he saw it as his squadron ditched it's bombs. BTW it
>> was a clearly marked drop zone on the maps.
>>
>> Whilst there is no 100% positive proof it is a very strong case and
>> all the pieces bar a positive ID fit.
>
>All that is probably true. There are several other stories and theories
>about how Glenn Miller died, and no one knows for sure. The version you
>describe does seem to be the most likely one. The only correction I would
>suggest is that the aircraft supposedly carrying Miller was not "hit by a
>falling bomb," but flying at low altitude was damaged and/or sent out of
>control by the bomb dump hitting the water close to it. It was a very large
>load of bombs, of course.
>
>But what on earth does any of that have to do with metric vs. English units
>of measure?

The US were using a different time system to everyone else they were
working with... When the US uses different standards there will ALWAYS
errors in conversion. This will cost time, money and in some cases
lives. This why the rest of the world is standardising.

In any event the US may not have much choice with many of them in the
future.

From: Martin Brown on
Chris H wrote:
> In message <c-CdnXIhyIZ0ypzWnZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
> Harrington <secret(a)illumnati.net> writes
>> "Chris H" <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote in message
>>> In message <1e00g51800npsuco24380ml1u76jrfa7lf(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
>>> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes

>>> Interfacing with the rest of the world.

>> What specifically is the problem?
>
> The US will have to use the International systems when talking to the
> rest of the world. This means doing lots of conversions, holding dual
> stock etc
>
> For example the whole world uses ISO A4 and the US uses US letter.... so
> when the US want to communicate with the rest of the world it has to use
> A4 and for internal use uses Letter.

And certain Mickeysoft Office software resets paper size to US Letter
every time it gets slightly confused which is a real PITA.

> Dates are another problem the whole world bar the USA uses DD/MM/YY and
> the US uses MM/DD/YY it causes problems.
>
> It is no conscience to Americans who only interact with other Americans
> but as soon as Americans have to interact externally it will cause
> Americans problems, time and money.

Even then it causes problems since their aerospace engineers can only
think in foot pounds per fortnight and NASA science specifications these
days are all metric. The Mars orbiter in 1999 was lost this way.

http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

Their short measure gallon has caused serious amusement too.

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-gimli-glider

Just as well the pilot was an experienced glider pilot and very cool
after finding he had no engines and a long way to go.

Regards,
Martin Brown
From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:29:40 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
wrote:

>>> They do know what happened. The problem was due to standards.

That's an outright lie.

>>> The US
>>> military used a different time to the rest of us (ie the UK which is
>>> where he flew from) . There was a 1 hour difference. This was not
>>> realised in the initial investigations.

Not true.

>>But what on earth does any of that have to do with metric vs. English units
>>of measure?
>
>The US were using a different time system to everyone else they were
>working with... When the US uses different standards there will ALWAYS
>errors in conversion. This will cost time, money and in some cases
>lives. This why the rest of the world is standardising.

Number One, that theory has been discredited. Nesbitt based the one
hour time difference on the fact that the crew used local time instead
of GMT. However, local time at RAF Twinwood *was* GMT. Nesbitt
didn't know that.

Number Two. There was no US time system involved anyway. More
bullshit from you. Miller's plane took off from an RAF base where GMT
was used.

The US doesn't have different time system. The US standard is GMT
just like the UK's standard. Local time is adjusted by time zones, if
applicable, but the base system is GMT. Look up a time in the US, and
it will be zone, and the zone will be UTC minus an adjustment for
zone. UTC is "Coordinated Universal Time" and that is the same as
GMT.

You are *so* full of bullshit, Chris.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida