From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:54:33 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>Not to disagree, but I am annoyed about the different Ounces.....If you are
>calculating the price of Gold, you have to use some other ounce than the
>standard one used in grocery stores.....Exactly why they do this is not at
>all clear to me, and it is very annoying......

Precious metals and gems are measured in troy ounces. I don't know
why it confuses you unless you are trying to weigh gold on a kitchen
scale. You don't calculate the price of gold. No calculation is
required since the price per troy ounce is given.

The only thing that's a bit confusing is that Krugerrands, and some
other one troy ounce of gold coins, actually weigh 1.0909 troy ounces.
The difference is the amount of copper added for hardness.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Bill Graham on

"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:54:33 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Not to disagree, but I am annoyed about the different Ounces.....If you
>>are
>>calculating the price of Gold, you have to use some other ounce than the
>>standard one used in grocery stores.....Exactly why they do this is not at
>>all clear to me, and it is very annoying......
>
> Precious metals and gems are measured in troy ounces. I don't know
> why it confuses you unless you are trying to weigh gold on a kitchen
> scale. You don't calculate the price of gold. No calculation is
> required since the price per troy ounce is given.
>
> The only thing that's a bit confusing is that Krugerrands, and some
> other one troy ounce of gold coins, actually weigh 1.0909 troy ounces.
> The difference is the amount of copper added for hardness.
>
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

The operative phrase in the above is, "Precious metals and gems are measured
in troy ounces." This is what I do not understand, and what is annoying to
me. Why the hell would they separate out precious metals and gems from a
perfectly good measuring system and give them some special, different
measuring system that uses a unit that has the same spelling and
pronunciation as their other measuring system? This is both confusing and
totally unnecessary. It is the kind of thing that makes me prefer my cats to
people......

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-17 20:41:24 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:

> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:54:33 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Not to disagree, but I am annoyed about the different Ounces.....If you are
>>> calculating the price of Gold, you have to use some other ounce than the
>>> standard one used in grocery stores.....Exactly why they do this is not at
>>> all clear to me, and it is very annoying......
>>
>> Precious metals and gems are measured in troy ounces. I don't know
>> why it confuses you unless you are trying to weigh gold on a kitchen
>> scale. You don't calculate the price of gold. No calculation is
>> required since the price per troy ounce is given.
>>
>> The only thing that's a bit confusing is that Krugerrands, and some
>> other one troy ounce of gold coins, actually weigh 1.0909 troy ounces.
>> The difference is the amount of copper added for hardness.
>>
>> --
>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
>
> The operative phrase in the above is, "Precious metals and gems are
> measured in troy ounces." This is what I do not understand, and what is
> annoying to me. Why the hell would they separate out precious metals
> and gems from a perfectly good measuring system and give them some
> special, different measuring system that uses a unit that has the same
> spelling and pronunciation as their other measuring system? This is
> both confusing and totally unnecessary. It is the kind of thing that
> makes me prefer my cats to people......

You will notice they stuck with tradition and troy ounces instead of
going metric, so at least you don't have to think in grams of gold. As
far as diamonds are concerned we still have to deal with carats, 1
carat = 200 mg, or 3.086 grains which is useful for somebody with
reloading experience.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:41:24 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:54:33 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Not to disagree, but I am annoyed about the different Ounces.....If you
>>>are
>>>calculating the price of Gold, you have to use some other ounce than the
>>>standard one used in grocery stores.....Exactly why they do this is not at
>>>all clear to me, and it is very annoying......
>>
>> Precious metals and gems are measured in troy ounces. I don't know
>> why it confuses you unless you are trying to weigh gold on a kitchen
>> scale. You don't calculate the price of gold. No calculation is
>> required since the price per troy ounce is given.
>>
>> The only thing that's a bit confusing is that Krugerrands, and some
>> other one troy ounce of gold coins, actually weigh 1.0909 troy ounces.
>> The difference is the amount of copper added for hardness.
>>
>> --
>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
>
>The operative phrase in the above is, "Precious metals and gems are measured
>in troy ounces." This is what I do not understand, and what is annoying to
>me. Why the hell would they separate out precious metals and gems from a
>perfectly good measuring system and give them some special, different
>measuring system that uses a unit that has the same spelling and
>pronunciation as their other measuring system? This is both confusing and
>totally unnecessary. It is the kind of thing that makes me prefer my cats to
>people......

Hell, Bill, *I* prefer your cats to you.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Bill Graham on

> On 2009-11-17 20:41:24 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:
>

>> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> Precious metals and gems are measured in troy ounces. I don't know
>>> why it confuses you unless you are trying to weigh gold on a kitchen
>>> scale. You don't calculate the price of gold. No calculation is
>>> required since the price per troy ounce is given.
>>>
>>> The only thing that's a bit confusing is that Krugerrands, and some
>>> other one troy ounce of gold coins, actually weigh 1.0909 troy ounces.
>>> The difference is the amount of copper added for hardness.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
>>
>> The operative phrase in the above is, "Precious metals and gems are
>> measured in troy ounces." This is what I do not understand, and what is
>> annoying to me. Why the hell would they separate out precious metals and
>> gems from a perfectly good measuring system and give them some special,
>> different measuring system that uses a unit that has the same spelling
>> and pronunciation as their other measuring system? This is both confusing
>> and totally unnecessary. It is the kind of thing that makes me prefer my
>> cats to people......
>
> You will notice they stuck with tradition and troy ounces instead of going
> metric, so at least you don't have to think in grams of gold. As far as
> diamonds are concerned we still have to deal with carats, 1 carat = 200
> mg, or 3.086 grains which is useful for somebody with reloading
> experience.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Apparently the grain is common to both systems (Troy and Avoirdupois) so all
I have to do is translate everything into grains and go from there. But the
essential question remains......WHY?