From: Bill Graham on

"Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:54:33 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Not to disagree, but I am annoyed about the different Ounces.....If you
>>>are
>>>calculating the price of Gold, you have to use some other ounce than the
>>>standard one used in grocery stores.....Exactly why they do this is not
>>>at
>>>all clear to me, and it is very annoying......
>>
>> Precious metals and gems are measured in troy ounces. I don't know
>> why it confuses you unless you are trying to weigh gold on a kitchen
>> scale. You don't calculate the price of gold. No calculation is
>> required since the price per troy ounce is given.
>
> Except for snorkles.....Snorkels are measured in glumph ounces. There is
> nothing confusing about this, unless you try to weigh a snorkle on a
> kitchen scale. You don't calculate the price of snorkles. No calculation
> is required, since the price per glumph ounce is given. Now, with widgets,
> it's a different story altogether. Widgets are measured in klamp
> ounces.....Just be sure you never try to weigh a widget on a kitchen
> scale......

You see that huge warehouse I have in my back yard? It is full of scales. I
have a different scale for every item I may need to weigh during the average
lifetime.......Thank God I am 74 years old already......My last warehouse is
almost full now. I don't want to have to buy another one before I die. 16
warehouses full of scales is enough.......

From: Bill Graham on

"Elliott Roper" <nospam(a)yrl.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Yes. When slide rules disappeared, knowledge of their principal of
>> operation
>> disappeared with them.

It took a bit longer to explain enough about logs for
> her to get how it works.

When she's 15, ask her again how they work......Unless she's a math major,
she won't even know what logs are......

From: tony cooper on
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:31:09 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>Along with 2 Faber Castell slide rules, I still have my old book of
>log/antilog and trig tables. Use the word "mantissa" today, and see
>what sort of baffled looks you will get from kids.

What? Spanish ladies don't wear veils today?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: David Nebenzahl on
On 11/20/2009 6:08 PM J. Clarke spake thus:

> Savageduck wrote:
>
>> Along with 2 Faber Castell slide rules, I still have my old book of
>> log/antilog and trig tables. Use the word "mantissa" today, and see
>> what sort of baffled looks you will get from kids.
>
> I picked up a Deci-Lon when they were on sale for 5 bucks at the OSU
> bookstore. Never had occasion to actually use it but it's fun to play with.
>
> By the way, with regard to log tables, do you have the Schaums Mathematical
> Handbook? For $12.95 it's an incredible bargain--one of my Physics
> professors turned me on to it--I've worn out two of them.

Not that book, but I have my dad's copy of Burington's /Handbook of
Mathematical Tables and Formulas/, reprinted 1941. Usual stuff: logs,
trig tables, lotsa formulae.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet
From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-20 19:09:55 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:31:09 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> Along with 2 Faber Castell slide rules, I still have my old book of
>> log/antilog and trig tables. Use the word "mantissa" today, and see
>> what sort of baffled looks you will get from kids.
>
> What? Spanish ladies don't wear veils today?

Forget Spanish ladies and veils, think in terms of significand.
Traditional usage of "mantissa" regarding logarithms refers to the
fractional part of a logarithm.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73
Prev: 7D full review at dpreview
Next: Photos about Botany