From: Wilba on
Bill Graham wrote:
> Savageduck wrote:
>> Savageduck said:

>>> Note the driver on the left.
>>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.png
>>
>> Sorry, that was the right, the shot gun was on the left.
>> Now I don't know my left from my right!
>
> Are you sure the picture wasn't reversed? I don't see the, "Wells Fargo"
> logo written anywhere, so it could have been......Back in the "film" days,
> that happened a lot.......I wonder, is it possible to get a digital
> picture reversed?

"The express messenger [armed guard] for stagecoaches typically rode in a
seat on top of the coach, next to the driver (this was usually on the
driver's left, since stage drivers typically sat on the right)" -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_messenger

But if they were mostly using double-barrelled shotguns, there's no
to-the-right ejection.

From: Bill Graham on

"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 21:03:59 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
> <nospamclayton(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>US units are a shambolic mess, inconsistent with each other and almost
>>completely irrational for dealing with the real world.
>>
> And yet we manage.
>
> The world that each of us lives in is the "real world". We, who live
> in the US, have no problem dealing with our system.

All the machine shop owners I have known (and I have known many) prided
themselves on being able to work with either the English or metric systems.

From: Bill Graham on

"George Kerby" <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On 11/14/09 9:03 AM, in article
> 8LudnUMIR_9IW2PXnZ2dnUVZ_ridnZ2d(a)giganews.com, "Neil Harrington"
> <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:
>

>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> It seems we left our history far behind. Have you ever noticed where the
>>> good old Wells Fargo stage coach driver sat, ...on the right, shotgun on
>>> the left.
>>
>> Apparently that was the standard arrangement for all horse and buggy
>> drivers
>> too. (Going by the movies, anyway.)
>>
>> And it's still the standard position for whoever's steering a power boat.

Did the Indians frequently attack power boats?

From: Bill Graham on

> On 2009-11-14 10:03:45 -0800, "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net>
> said:
>

>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> Aah! The Billy The Kid, left hand gun paradox.
>>
>> Yep. To this day, many (probably most) people still believe that Henry
>> "Billy the Kid" McCarty was left-handed. One of the movies about him,
>> "The
>> Left Handed Gun," has surely contributed to that falsehood.
>
> Well here is a photo of a stagecoach, driven from the right, and with the
> type on the coach correct and not mirror imaged.
> http://www.old-picture.com/old-west/pictures/Stagecoach-Western.jpg

Yes, but his wife wasn't carrying a shotgun......

From: Bill Graham on

"Wilba" <usenet(a)CUTTHISimago.com.au> wrote in message
> Bill Graham wrote:
>> Savageduck wrote:

>>> I think it was a case of right handed shotgun shooters out numbering
>>> left handed shooters. That way they wouldn't have to replace a driver
>>> every time a left handed guard blew the driver away. Maybe a
>>> qualification for shotgun guards was to be right handed.
>>>
>>> Maybe there was a rule of the road that stagecoach robbers had a "rob
>>> from left side" only sense of etiquette. ;-)
>>
>> Maybe it had something to do with which side the shells were ejected from
>> when the rifle action was worked....It would be very annoying to the
>> driver if the hot shell casings were ejected into his face while he was
>> trying to get away from the bad guys.....
>
> But in that photo the driver is on the ejector side.

I don't know how you can tell....different rifles eject the shells to
different sides.....As I remember, the M1 (used by US soldiers in WW-II,
ejected the shells to the right, but I have seen other guns that ejected
them to the left side....