From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-14 02:30:45 -0800, "Wilba" <usenet(a)CUTTHISimago.com.au> said:

> Savageduck wrote:
>> Wilba said:
>>>
>>> Years ago I read that left-hand drive is safer overall, because when a
>>> person is startled they tend to raise their non-dominant hand to protect
>>> their head. If at the time they are steering a car on the left of the
>>> road,
>>> 9 out of 10 will therefore sverve into oncoming traffic. Apparently the
>>> effect is statistically significant.
>>
>> It seems we left our history far behind. Have you ever noticed where the
>> good old Wells Fargo stage coach driver sat, ...on the right, shotgun on
>> the left.
>
> Don't see many of them 'round these here parts. :- )

Note the driver on the left.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.png

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-14 02:53:09 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

> On 2009-11-14 02:30:45 -0800, "Wilba" <usenet(a)CUTTHISimago.com.au> said:
>
>> Savageduck wrote:

>>> It seems we left our history far behind. Have you ever noticed where the
>>> good old Wells Fargo stage coach driver sat, ...on the right, shotgun on
>>> the left.
>>
>> Don't see many of them 'round these here parts. :- )
>
> Note the driver on the left.
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.png

Sorry, that was the right, the shot gun was on the left.
Now I don't know my left from my right!

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Wilba on
Savageduck wrote:
> Savageduck said:
>> Wilba said:

>>> Don't see many of them 'round these here parts. :- )
>>
>> Note the driver on the left.
>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Concord_stagecoach_1869.png
>
> Sorry, that was the right, the shot gun was on the left.
> Now I don't know my left from my right!

I worked that out. :- )

I wonder why they did it that way, since the driver is on the ejector
side...? Maybe the convention pre-dates the widespread use of repeating
rifles.

From: J. Clarke on
RustY � wrote:
> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
>
>> Government overspending is a huge part of the problem, that's true.
>> Also the fact that as we live longer but in most cases still start
>> drawing Social Security at somewhere between 62 and 65, there are
>> fewer and fewer workers supporting each retiree through that system.
>
> So, you need to vote for more taxes - or less social services -
> simple.

We vote for neither taxes nor social services, we vote for politicians.

From: J. Clarke on
Savageduck wrote:
> On 2009-11-13 19:28:38 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:
>

>> "J�rgen Exner" <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Then if the unit "cup" doesn't have a relationship to a cup of
>>> beverage then what is the specific benefit of having that unit
>>> "cup" instead of using e.g 1/4 liter?
>>>
>>> jue
>>
>> None. It's just a slang term. Actually, when it comes to a cup of
>> coffee, it's usually closer to 1/4 liter than a cup, which is 1/4 of
>> a quart. You have to remember that the world is 99% housewives, and
>> only 1% engineers.
>
> That would explain a pinch of salt.

A pinch is 1/16 of a teaspoon.

As for the benefit of having that unit "cup" instead of "1/4 liter", "1c"
can be scribbled more quickly than "1/4l" and with its two distinct
characters is far less likely to be misintepreted than "1/4l" with its three
more or less vertical strokes. "250ml" is harder to misinterpret than
"1/4l" but it's also longer to write and confers no practical benefit over
the much more succinct "1c".

In any case, a "standard" cup of coffee is 3/4 of a measuring cup, oddly
that's the same amount as the rice cup provided with Japanese rice cookers.