From: Guillaume Dargaud on
Hello all,
I've had this problem since I started trying to use custom-generated ICM
profiles.

I have an Epson R1800 printer which works fine in usual modes.

I have a Datacolor SpyderPrint calibrator and I've generated profiles for a
bunch of papers.

Now when I print (in Paint Shop Pro) I do the following in the driver
settings:
- Glossy / Satin / whatever is closest to the paper type
- Photo RPM
- ICM
-- Driver ICM (Basic)
-- input profile sRGB
-- Intent perceptual
-- Printer profile: whatever my generated profile is.

And I get stripes / banding, very visible in the light areas of the images,
fine in the darker areas. In particular I get a much darker band in the
first 5mm of the print.
I've searched the web several times without success and regenerated the
profiles a bunch of times. If I disable ICM and use 'Color Control', it
prints fine (but then of course the colors are a bit off).

Any idea ?!?
I won't accept "turn ICM off and use photoshop's native profile handling" as
an answer because (1) I don't have photoshop and (2) I would like an app-
independent solution.

Thanks
--
Guillaume Dargaud
http://www.gdargaud.net/
From: Jan Alter on

<me(a)mine.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:12:14 +0100, in comp.periphs.printers Guillaume
> Dargaud <use_my_web_form(a)www.gdargaud.net> wrote:
>
>>Hello all,
>>I've had this problem since I started trying to use custom-generated ICM
>>profiles.
>>
>>I have an Epson R1800 printer which works fine in usual modes.
>>
>>I have a Datacolor SpyderPrint calibrator and I've generated profiles for
>>bunch of papers.
>>
>>Now when I print (in Paint Shop Pro) I do the following in the driver
>>settings:
>>- Glossy / Satin / whatever is closest to the paper type
>>- Photo RPM
>>- ICM
>>-- Driver ICM (Basic)
>>-- input profile sRGB
>>-- Intent perceptual
>>-- Printer profile: whatever my generated profile is.
>>
>>And I get stripes / banding, very visible in the light areas of the
>>images,
>>fine in the darker areas. In particular I get a much darker band in the
>>first 5mm of the print.
>>I've searched the web several times without success and regenerated the
>>profiles a bunch of times. If I disable ICM and use 'Color Control', it
>>prints fine (but then of course the colors are a bit off).
>>
>>Any idea ?!?
>>I won't accept "turn ICM off and use photoshop's native profile handling"
>>as
>>an answer because (1) I don't have photoshop and (2) I would like an app-
>>independent solution.
>
> What happens if you use one of the standard Epson paper or other paper
> manufacturers's papers profiles? First narrow the down where the
> problem exists. Is it how the Epson driver implements ANY profile or
> just specifically the ones you create. If the later, then you need to
> contact Datacolor tech support, imo.

It's possible that a newer print driver might solve the situation unless you
have it already. This is what I found on the Epson website a moment ago.

Printer Driver v6.5cAs
Windows 7 32-bit Edition compatible, Windows Vista 32-bit Edition, Windows
XP, Windows 2000
epson12332.exe - 12.3MB - posted on 09/04/07

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf(a)verizon.net

From: Guillaume Dargaud on
> What happens if you use one of the standard Epson paper or other paper
> manufacturers's papers profiles? First narrow the down where the
> problem exists. Is it how the Epson driver implements ANY profile or
> just specifically the ones you create. If the later, then you need to
> contact Datacolor tech support, imo.

Good call...
But actually I haven't been able to test it: doing test prints I figured out
that the gloss enhancer was partly stuck and proceeded to clean it. Ink 1
ran out. Do again. Ink 2 ran out... Until I had to replace them all. Very
cheap as you van tell, and now I'm out of ink to test your suggestion and
will need to wait a few days.
--
Guillaume Dargaud
http://www.gdargaud.net/

From: Arthur Entlich on
You have probably explained your problem. Profiling your printer
doesn't causes banding, clogged heads or low ink in the cartridges can,
however.

You might want to request information about how to clean head clogs with
your printer. When the heads get "near clogging" they begin to become
intermittent with banding. All Epson printers require some head
maintenance. The heads are permanent and they develop dry ink
accumulation under the head. The ink wiper, which is supposed to clean
the heads and nozzle surface gets contaminated with thickened ink over
time and ends up making things worse. These parts require good
cleaning, and I have a manual which explains how to do it.

The manual is free and the fluids and materials to do it are available
at most grocery or $1 stores for a few bucks.

If you'd like a copy email me and indicate the issue your printer is
experiencing and the printer model involved, so I can email you the
correct manual.

e-printerhelp(at)mvps(dot)org

(at) = @
(dot) = .

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/