From: RichA on
Popular Photography's review of the Sony NEX5, the Samsung NX10 and
the Panasonic G2. Despite the Panasonic having much worse high ISO
noise than the other two (well, than the Sony anyway) it still beat
the other two for overall score. This is the point where you are
literally sacrificing high ISO shots because the camera is so much
more adept at everything else. The thoughtful photog might say, "To
Hell with all of them" and just buy a Nikon D90, which performance-
wise will blow the compacts into the weeds, but in the compact niche,
choices are as hard as in the high performance area. If only a small
fraction of your shots were high ISO, and most of your shots needed
fast focus, then the G2 would obviously make the most sense to get.
You'd then still take the high ISO shots, and compensate using a de-
noising program, and live with the results.
From: Ted Banks on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:47:06 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Popular Photography's review of the Sony NEX5, the Samsung NX10 and
>the Panasonic G2. Despite the Panasonic having much worse high ISO
>noise than the other two (well, than the Sony anyway) it still beat
>the other two for overall score. This is the point where you are
>literally sacrificing high ISO shots because the camera is so much
>more adept at everything else. The thoughtful photog might say, "To
>Hell with all of them" and just buy a Nikon D90, which performance-
>wise will blow the compacts into the weeds, but in the compact niche,
>choices are as hard as in the high performance area. If only a small
>fraction of your shots were high ISO, and most of your shots needed
>fast focus, then the G2 would obviously make the most sense to get.
>You'd then still take the high ISO shots, and compensate using a de-
>noising program, and live with the results.

High ISO's are the crutch of the snapshooter, point & shooter, crapshooter,
and beginner novice. The level of importance that you, or anyone, bestow on
this rarely useful feature of a camera for any Pro photographer shows just
where your skills, talent, and knowledge truly lie.

From: whisky-dave on

"Ted Banks" <email(a)email.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:47:06 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Popular Photography's review of the Sony NEX5, the Samsung NX10 and
>>the Panasonic G2. Despite the Panasonic having much worse high ISO
>>noise than the other two (well, than the Sony anyway) it still beat
>>the other two for overall score. This is the point where you are
>>literally sacrificing high ISO shots because the camera is so much
>>more adept at everything else. The thoughtful photog might say, "To
>>Hell with all of them" and just buy a Nikon D90, which performance-
>>wise will blow the compacts into the weeds, but in the compact niche,
>>choices are as hard as in the high performance area. If only a small
>>fraction of your shots were high ISO, and most of your shots needed
>>fast focus, then the G2 would obviously make the most sense to get.
>>You'd then still take the high ISO shots, and compensate using a de-
>>noising program, and live with the results.
>
> High ISO's are the crutch of the snapshooter, point & shooter,
> crapshooter,
> and beginner novice.

What about those that do indoor sports photography such as ice hockey[1]
or I do gig photography quite a lot. I do appreciate normal; brightly lit
scenes of churches, castles etc.. and all that landscape stuff but it
doesn't really interest me challenge wise as trying to get a good picture of
a black cat in a coal bunker with the lights off without having to use
flash.

>The level of importance that you, or anyone, bestow on
> this rarely useful feature of a camera for any Pro photographer shows just
> where your skills, talent, and knowledge truly lie.

[1] well not much of this in the UK but we have darts which is a real
quality sport.