From: Doug McDonald on
I've decided I need a new inkjet printer.

My current Ep$on Photo Stylus 820 ink eater still works and,
except for one point, makes nice prints. But that one point
is driving me crazy.

The problem is that using Epson's top grade glossy paper,
it does not print real black. No where near the density of
a genuine ordinary chromogenic old-fashioned wet process color print.

What's the current state in printers for low-volume use? I'm interested in
the 8-inch wide ones or the next width step up (11 inches? 14?).

Doug McDonald
From: ransley on
On Jun 16, 4:18 pm, Doug McDonald <mcdon...(a)scs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> I've decided I need a new inkjet printer.
>
> My current Ep$on Photo Stylus 820 ink eater still works and,
> except for one point, makes nice prints. But that one point
> is driving me crazy.
>
> The problem is that using Epson's top grade glossy paper,
> it does not print real black. No where near the density of
> a genuine ordinary chromogenic old-fashioned wet process color print.
>
> What's the current state in printers for low-volume use? I'm interested in
> the 8-inch wide ones or the next width step up (11 inches? 14?).
>
> Doug McDonald

If its for B&W you need to find reviews and test one before buying, my
opinion is not of recent products, but even Best Buy had Canon and HPs
I could test, about 5 years ago it was Epson and HP for B&W, and Canon
and Epson for color, Canon years ago had the finest, 1 Picoliter
printing on some models, HP was the worst. Each printer had its
strengths and weaknesses.
From: John Navas on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:18:27 -0500, in
<hvbeui$ddv$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Doug McDonald
<mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>I've decided I need a new inkjet printer.
>
>My current Ep$on Photo Stylus 820 ink eater still works and,
>except for one point, makes nice prints. But that one point
>is driving me crazy.
>
>The problem is that using Epson's top grade glossy paper,
>it does not print real black. No where near the density of
>a genuine ordinary chromogenic old-fashioned wet process color print.
>
>What's the current state in printers for low-volume use? I'm interested in
>the 8-inch wide ones or the next width step up (11 inches? 14?).

Hewlett-Packard Photosmart D7560 (special "photo black" ink)

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: Tzortzakakis Dimitris on

> I've decided I need a new inkjet printer.
>
> My current Ep$on Photo Stylus 820 ink eater still works and,
> except for one point, makes nice prints. But that one point
> is driving me crazy.
>
> The problem is that using Epson's top grade glossy paper,
> it does not print real black. No where near the density of
> a genuine ordinary chromogenic old-fashioned wet process color print.
>
> What's the current state in printers for low-volume use? I'm interested in
> the 8-inch wide ones or the next width step up (11 inches? 14?).
Canon Pixma iP 4500 (IIRC the current model, I have the 4300).
5 separate inks (Cyan,Magenta, Yellow, Photo Black, Document Black).
Optimum ink cost, because the tanks are, well, tanks and head is available
separately (running smoothly after 3+ years and hundreds of printouts)
Prints on printable cds and vds.
Has a paper tray (better model has 2 trays IIRC) so you don't have to
manually feed paper.
A4 (letter) size.
Prints on both sides of paper automatically (flips it).
Price ~120 euros, ink tank ~14 euros (I use generic paper and have the tanks
refilled with generic ink, excellent results-prints only smudge a bit).

HTH,

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

From: Robert Coe on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:23:32 +0300, "Tzortzakakis Dimitris" <noone(a)nospam.com>
wrote:
:
: ? "Doug McDonald" <mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu> ?????? ??? ??????
: news:hvbeui$ddv$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
: > I've decided I need a new inkjet printer.
: >
[...]

I was with you until that last line. How could it possibly be acceptable for
the prints to smudge at all?

Bob