From: Rich on
Brought out a small camera with a slightly smaller than 4/3rds sensor, with
8 megapixels instead of 12-15, would you buy one? I've asked a few people
about this, and they said they'd like it if the pixel count were reduced to
alleviate noise. But I presume Nikon like the rest of them are hostage to
the same pixels-are-everything mentality that infects the general
population.
From: krishnananda on
In article <J_udncfO8MPJ7oTRnZ2dnUVZ_vudnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Rich <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

> Brought out a small camera with a slightly smaller than 4/3rds sensor, with
> 8 megapixels instead of 12-15, would you buy one? I've asked a few people
> about this, and they said they'd like it if the pixel count were reduced to
> alleviate noise. But I presume Nikon like the rest of them are hostage to
> the same pixels-are-everything mentality that infects the general
> population.

That depends.

Does it fit in my hands?
How does the LCD do in bright sunlight?
What is the low-light noise like?
Is it a significant improvement over what I already have?
What is the price?
Lens: how wide does it go? What is the distortion like? How bad is the
f-stop shift at max telephoto?
What is the lowest-speed SD-HC (or whatever) card it can write to with
acceptable speed? (If it needs a Class 10 card it better be shooting RAW)
Does it have decent image stabilization?

I don't care about:

Manufacturer
Absolute pixel count
Absolute sensor size
Gimmicks like color modes, video, face recognition, direct print
Optical viewfinder on a P/S
From: whisky-dave on

"krishnananda" <krishna(a)divine-life.in.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <J_udncfO8MPJ7oTRnZ2dnUVZ_vudnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> Rich <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> Brought out a small camera with a slightly smaller than 4/3rds sensor,
>> with
>> 8 megapixels instead of 12-15, would you buy one? I've asked a few
>> people
>> about this, and they said they'd like it if the pixel count were reduced
>> alleviate noise. But I presume Nikon like the rest of them are hostage
>> the same pixels-are-everything mentality that infects the general
>> population.
>
> That depends.
>
> Does it fit in my hands?

And then what about the camera ?

I need one that I can use with one hand in the dark.

> How does the LCD do in bright sunlight?
> What is the low-light noise like?
> Is it a significant improvement over what I already have?
> What is the price?

Yep, I' check that first before anything else.

> Lens: how wide does it go? What is the distortion like? How bad is the
> f-stop shift at max telephoto?
> What is the lowest-speed SD-HC (or whatever) card it can write to with
> acceptable speed? (If it needs a Class 10 card it better be shooting RAW)
> Does it have decent image stabilization?

What about indecent images, they need stabilising too :)

> I don't care about:
>
> Manufacturer.

I do a little as that can point to things like support and 'trust'.

From: Neil Harrington on

"Rich" <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Brought out a small camera with a slightly smaller than 4/3rds sensor,
> with
> 8 megapixels instead of 12-15, would you buy one? I've asked a few people
> about this, and they said they'd like it if the pixel count were reduced
> alleviate noise. But I presume Nikon like the rest of them are hostage to
> the same pixels-are-everything mentality that infects the general
> population.

I'd be interested in anything Nikon did in that direction. Can't say if I'd
buy one without having more details. Interchangeable lenses? Adapter for
existing DX lenses? EVF, I assume, but what resolution?

From: Rich on
"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in

> "Rich" <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Brought out a small camera with a slightly smaller than 4/3rds
>> sensor, with
>> 8 megapixels instead of 12-15, would you buy one? I've asked a few
>> people about this, and they said they'd like it if the pixel count
>> were reduced to
>> alleviate noise. But I presume Nikon like the rest of them are
>> hostage to the same pixels-are-everything mentality that infects the
>> general population.
>
> I'd be interested in anything Nikon did in that direction. Can't say
> if I'd buy one without having more details. Interchangeable lenses?
> Adapter for existing DX lenses? EVF, I assume, but what resolution?

8 megapixels. The idea being not to end up with 4um pixels.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Inkjet printer advice wanted
Next: poppy fields