From: Eric Stevens on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:18:27 -0500, Doug McDonald
<mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>I've decided I need a new inkjet printer.
>
>My current Ep$on Photo Stylus 820 ink eater still works and,
>except for one point, makes nice prints. But that one point
>is driving me crazy.
>
>The problem is that using Epson's top grade glossy paper,
>it does not print real black. No where near the density of
>a genuine ordinary chromogenic old-fashioned wet process color print.
>
>What's the current state in printers for low-volume use? I'm interested in
>the 8-inch wide ones or the next width step up (11 inches? 14?).

If you are worried about colour gamut you should have a look at
anything from the Epson Stylus range with a number of the general form
of XX80.

Eric Stevens
From: ransley on
On Jun 18, 11:23 am, "Tzortzakakis Dimitris" <no...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> ? "Doug McDonald" <mcdon...(a)scs.uiuc.edu> ?????? ??? ??????news:hvbeui$ddv$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...> I've decided I need a new inkjet printer..
>
> > My current Ep$on Photo Stylus 820 ink eater still works and,
> > except for one point, makes nice prints. But that one point
> > is driving me crazy.
>
> > The problem is that using Epson's top grade glossy paper,
> > it does not print real black. No where near the density of
> > a genuine ordinary chromogenic old-fashioned wet process color print.
>
> > What's the current state in printers for low-volume use? I'm interested in
> > the 8-inch wide ones or the next width step up (11 inches? 14?).
>
> Canon Pixma iP 4500 (IIRC the current model, I have the 4300).
> 5 separate inks (Cyan,Magenta, Yellow, Photo Black, Document Black).
> Optimum ink cost, because the tanks are, well, tanks and head is available
> separately (running smoothly after 3+ years and hundreds of printouts)
> Prints on printable cds and vds.
> Has a paper tray (better model has 2 trays IIRC) so you don't have to
> manually feed paper.
> A4 (letter) size.
> Prints on both sides of paper automatically (flips it).
> Price ~120 euros, ink tank ~14 euros (I use generic paper and have the tanks
> refilled with generic ink, excellent results-prints only smudge a bit).
>
> HTH,
>
> --
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
> major in electrical engineering
> mechanized infantry reservist
> hordad AT otenet DOT gr

Have you done B&W photos and compared them to other printers and B&W
film, my 5 ink canon mp 950s B&W have a cyan tint to the black, maybe
new models are better but this isnt a new issue for canon. For color
canon is great.
From: Tzortzakakis Dimitris on

? "Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> ?????? ??? ??????
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:23:32 +0300, "Tzortzakakis Dimitris"
> <noone(a)nospam.com>
> wrote:
> :
> : ? "Doug McDonald" <mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu> ?????? ??? ??????
> : news:hvbeui$ddv$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> : > I've decided I need a new inkjet printer.
> : >
> : > My current Ep$on Photo Stylus 820 ink eater still works and,
> : > except for one point, makes nice prints. But that one point
> : > is driving me crazy.
> : >
> : > The problem is that using Epson's top grade glossy paper,
> : > it does not print real black. No where near the density of
> : > a genuine ordinary chromogenic old-fashioned wet process color print.
> : >
> : > What's the current state in printers for low-volume use? I'm
> interested in
> : > the 8-inch wide ones or the next width step up (11 inches? 14?).
> : Canon Pixma iP 4500 (IIRC the current model, I have the 4300).
> : 5 separate inks (Cyan,Magenta, Yellow, Photo Black, Document Black).
> : Optimum ink cost, because the tanks are, well, tanks and head is
> available
> : separately (running smoothly after 3+ years and hundreds of printouts)
> : Prints on printable cds and vds.
> : Has a paper tray (better model has 2 trays IIRC) so you don't have to
> : manually feed paper.
> : A4 (letter) size.
> : Prints on both sides of paper automatically (flips it).
> : Price ~120 euros, ink tank ~14 euros (I use generic paper and have the
> tanks
> : refilled with generic ink, excellent results-prints only smudge a bit).
>
> I was with you until that last line. How could it possibly be acceptable
> for
> the prints to smudge at all?
If you count the economic benefit of having the tanks refilled for 4 euros,
when an original tank costs 16 euros... That's four for the price of one! We
accept smudged photos, FWIW, and BTW, it's greener to use the same
cartridge again, instead of throwing it away, and buying a new one, and
throwing away again all packaging material.

From: scott nalter on
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 22:59:10 +0300, "Tzortzakakis Dimitris"
<noone(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>? "Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> ?????? ??? ??????
>> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:23:32 +0300, "Tzortzakakis Dimitris"
>> <noone(a)nospam.com>
>> wrote:
>> :
>> : ? "Doug McDonald" <mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu> ?????? ??? ??????
>> : news:hvbeui$ddv$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
>> : > I've decided I need a new inkjet printer.
>> : >
>> : > My current Ep$on Photo Stylus 820 ink eater still works and,
>> : > except for one point, makes nice prints. But that one point
>> : > is driving me crazy.
>> : >
>> : > The problem is that using Epson's top grade glossy paper,
>> : > it does not print real black. No where near the density of
>> : > a genuine ordinary chromogenic old-fashioned wet process color print.
>> : >
>> : > What's the current state in printers for low-volume use? I'm
>> interested in
>> : > the 8-inch wide ones or the next width step up (11 inches? 14?).
>> : Canon Pixma iP 4500 (IIRC the current model, I have the 4300).
>> : 5 separate inks (Cyan,Magenta, Yellow, Photo Black, Document Black).
>> : Optimum ink cost, because the tanks are, well, tanks and head is
>> available
>> : separately (running smoothly after 3+ years and hundreds of printouts)
>> : Prints on printable cds and vds.
>> : Has a paper tray (better model has 2 trays IIRC) so you don't have to
>> : manually feed paper.
>> : A4 (letter) size.
>> : Prints on both sides of paper automatically (flips it).
>> : Price ~120 euros, ink tank ~14 euros (I use generic paper and have the
>> tanks
>> : refilled with generic ink, excellent results-prints only smudge a bit).
>>
>> I was with you until that last line. How could it possibly be acceptable
>> for
>> the prints to smudge at all?
>If you count the economic benefit of having the tanks refilled for 4 euros,
>when an original tank costs 16 euros... That's four for the price of one! We
>accept smudged photos, FWIW, and BTW, it's greener to use the same
>cartridge again, instead of throwing it away, and buying a new one, and
>throwing away again all packaging material.

Smudging depends more on the paper used than the inks used. If the surface
cannot adequately trap the ink then you'll get smudging. Any half-decent
paper today will absorb, trap, and stabilize both pigment and dye inks.
Perhaps you are using pigment inks on a dye-inks-only paper, or vice-versa.

From: Pete on
On 2010-06-19 20:59:10 +0100, Tzortzakakis Dimitris said:

> ? "Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> ?????? ??? ??????
>> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:23:32 +0300, "Tzortzakakis Dimitris" <noone(a)nospam.com>
>> wrote:
>> :
>> : ? "Doug McDonald" <mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu> ?????? ??? ??????
>> : news:hvbeui$ddv$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
>> : > I've decided I need a new inkjet printer.
>> : >
>> : > My current Ep$on Photo Stylus 820 ink eater still works and,
>> : > except for one point, makes nice prints. But that one point
>> : > is driving me crazy.
>> : >
>> : > The problem is that using Epson's top grade glossy paper,
>> : > it does not print real black. No where near the density of
>> : > a genuine ordinary chromogenic old-fashioned wet process color print.
>> : >
>> : > What's the current state in printers for low-volume use? I'm interested in
>> : > the 8-inch wide ones or the next width step up (11 inches? 14?).
>> : Canon Pixma iP 4500 (IIRC the current model, I have the 4300).
>> : 5 separate inks (Cyan,Magenta, Yellow, Photo Black, Document Black).
>> : Optimum ink cost, because the tanks are, well, tanks and head is available
>> : separately (running smoothly after 3+ years and hundreds of printouts)
>> : Prints on printable cds and vds.
>> : Has a paper tray (better model has 2 trays IIRC) so you don't have to
>> : manually feed paper.
>> : A4 (letter) size.
>> : Prints on both sides of paper automatically (flips it).
>> : Price ~120 euros, ink tank ~14 euros (I use generic paper and have the tanks
>> : refilled with generic ink, excellent results-prints only smudge a bit).
>>
>> I was with you until that last line. How could it possibly be acceptable for
>> the prints to smudge at all?
> If you count the economic benefit of having the tanks refilled for 4
> euros, when an original tank costs 16 euros... That's four for the
> price of one! We accept smudged photos, FWIW, and BTW, it's greener to
> use the same cartridge again, instead of throwing it away, and buying a
> new one, and throwing away again all packaging material.

Just something to consider: find a really good printing company. The
major expense will be mailing, but less expensive than buying a printer
and feeding it with ink, better quality, and overall much more friendly
to the environment. Turnaround is two days max.

--
Pete