From: BeastFish on

"Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever> wrote in message
> "Ken Hall" <kenhall2REMOVE(a)houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> >A couple of years ago an aquaintance who'd gone to NET gave me his
> > copy of VB6.
>
> You do know that if your friend bought an upgrade license then you don't
> have a license to use it.

Or... if Ken's friend relinquished the license by passing ownership to Ken,
then Ken's friend doesn't have license to use the dotnet flavor.

Just looking for the positive aspect for both parties <g>

From: MikeB on

> "Ken Hall" <kenhall2REMOVE(a)houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>>A couple of years ago an aquaintance who'd gone to NET gave me his
>> copy of VB6.
>
> You do know that if your friend bought an upgrade license then you don't have
> a license to use it.

This thread got me thinking. I better rummage through my stuff. I think I
have a stand-alone vb6 that I upgraded from VB5.

Later I bought VS6 and that is the installed vb6 that I use, so I think I have
a VB6 License copy available..

From: Mike Williams on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)mvps.org> wrote in message

> If his friend bought an "upgrade" license, there
> may be cause for action under the implied
> warranty of merchantability, eh?

Nice one! I like that :-)

Mike

From: Bob Butler on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)mvps.org> wrote in message
> Bob Butler wrote:
>> "Ken Hall" <kenhall2REMOVE(a)houston.rr.com> wrote ...
>>> A couple of years ago an aquaintance who'd gone to NET gave me his
>>> copy of VB6.
>>
>> You do know that if your friend bought an upgrade license then you don't
>> have a license to use it.
>
> If his friend bought an "upgrade" license, there may be cause for action
> under the implied warranty of merchantability, eh?

It certainly fails any "truth in advertising" regulations

From: MikeD on

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:40:27 -0600, Ken Hall
> <kenhall2REMOVE(a)houston.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>A couple of years ago an aquaintance who'd gone to NET gave me his
>>copy of VB6. I've use VB5 for years and continued using it until last
>>week when I finally installed his copy of VB6. When I try to access
>>Help I get this message:
>>
>> The MSDN collection does not exist. Please reinstall MSDN
>>
>>I can't find anything about a MSDN collection on the disk. Where is
>>it and how do I get it?
>
> OK, I got copies of the MSDN disks. But, after I install them when I
> try to use the help I get a message telling me to insert Disk 2 into
> the CD drive. This implies I failed to install something but I
> selected everything that had VB in the description.
>
> Anybody know what's wrong?

Install everything from MSDN. Yes, it's large. But the MSDN Help is split up
so terribly bad, if you don't do a full install, you're frequently going to
be prompted to insert a disc. Much of the VB-relevant documentation doesn't
actually get installed if you choose to install only VB documentation. I
know...doesn't make sense, but that's how it is.

IIRC, at a minimum for VB documentation, you need to install the "VB"
documentation AND the "Other" documentation. But even with that, you're
still probably going to come across things where you get prompted to insert
a disc. It's just a matter of how often, and if you can live with it. You
can always experiment a bit. If you're getting prompted too often to suit
your tastes, install another part of MSDN.

But again, my advice is to just do a full install. I know it seems like
you're using a LOT of disk space for documentation you don't need or want,
but it's just easier.

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP Visual Basic