From: ampig on

Hello. I'm a newbie and novice. My daughter had a computer built for her
by a friend. There was never any operating system installed. An
accquaintance gave me a copy of XP Pro circa 2002 to use, but it won't
load. According to an IT friend at work who looked at it, the older XP
version can't deal with the modern 2008 hardware. He loaded 2004 XP
Service Pack 2 on the machine and it worked fine. What he loaded belongs
to our company so he had to remove it. So who's got good deals on XP?
Thanks for any help.

From: C on
ampig wrote:
> Hello. I'm a newbie and novice. My daughter had a computer built for her
> by a friend. There was never any operating system installed. An
> accquaintance gave me a copy of XP Pro circa 2002 to use, but it won't
> load. According to an IT friend at work who looked at it, the older XP
> version can't deal with the modern 2008 hardware. He loaded 2004 XP
> Service Pack 2 on the machine and it worked fine. What he loaded belongs
> to our company so he had to remove it. So who's got good deals on XP?
> Thanks for any help.

Some IT guy. He should be fired! You can use the SAME CD he has but put
your Product Key in and it will work just fine and be completely genuine
and in compliance with the EULA. You can also copy his CD for latter use.

From: SC Tom on

"ampig" <ampig.425m2h(a)no.email.invalid> wrote in message

> Hello. I'm a newbie and novice. My daughter had a computer built for her
> by a friend. There was never any operating system installed. An
> accquaintance gave me a copy of XP Pro circa 2002 to use, but it won't
> load. According to an IT friend at work who looked at it, the older XP
> version can't deal with the modern 2008 hardware. He loaded 2004 XP
> Service Pack 2 on the machine and it worked fine. What he loaded belongs
> to our company so he had to remove it. So who's got good deals on XP?
> Thanks for any help.

I hope he's not your company's only IT guy. . .

If the copy of XP that you have is a legitimate copy (isn't already
installed somewhere else or isn't an OEM that came with your acquaintance's
Dell), then you can slipstream Service Pack 2 onto it and then install it on
your new PC
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

If the copy is already at SP1a, you can slipstream SP3 instead of SP2 using
the same instructions.

Check out NewEgg or Amazon for XP prices if you want to buy a full copy.
Or, depending on what your daughter had built for her, you could just buy
and install Windows 7.

SC Tom

From: Mark Adams on

"ampig" wrote:

> Hello. I'm a newbie and novice. My daughter had a computer built for her
> by a friend. There was never any operating system installed. An
> accquaintance gave me a copy of XP Pro circa 2002 to use, but it won't
> load. According to an IT friend at work who looked at it, the older XP
> version can't deal with the modern 2008 hardware. He loaded 2004 XP
> Service Pack 2 on the machine and it worked fine. What he loaded belongs
> to our company so he had to remove it. So who's got good deals on XP?
> Thanks for any help.
>

> .

Fry's Electronics this week has Windows XP Home OEM for $79.
From: C on
Mark Adams wrote:

> "ampig" wrote:
>
>> Hello. I'm a newbie and novice. My daughter had a computer built for her
>> by a friend. There was never any operating system installed. An
>> accquaintance gave me a copy of XP Pro circa 2002 to use, but it won't
>> load. According to an IT friend at work who looked at it, the older XP
>> version can't deal with the modern 2008 hardware. He loaded 2004 XP
>> Service Pack 2 on the machine and it worked fine. What he loaded belongs
>> to our company so he had to remove it. So who's got good deals on XP?
>> Thanks for any help.
>>

>> .
>>

> Fry's Electronics this week has Windows XP Home OEM for $79.

Which, considering that the OP doesn't need it, you are suggesting the
OP waste $79.