From: Adrian Davis on
I'm having a problem finding recent versions of the CUPS binary
packages for Solaris 10 - The best I've found so far
(sunfreeware.com) is version 1.1.21 - which is very old.

Can anybody help?

Many Thanks,
=Adrian=

From: redtigra on
On Jul 7, 9:41 am, Adrian Davis <adr...(a)satisoft.com> wrote:
> I'm having a problem finding recent versions of the CUPS binary
> packages for Solaris 10 - The best I've found so far
> (sunfreeware.com)  is version 1.1.21 - which is very old.
>
> Can anybody help?
>
> Many Thanks,
>    =Adrian=

blastwave has 1.3.10 and 1.4.3 (http://www.blastwave.org/jir/
packages.fam) but I don't know if BW is appropriate to you and did not
test them by myself either.

Regards,
redtigra
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
Adrian Davis wrote:
> I'm having a problem finding recent versions of the CUPS binary
> packages for Solaris 10 - The best I've found so far
> (sunfreeware.com) is version 1.1.21 - which is very old.
>
> Can anybody help?

Why do you believe that there should be a more recent version? Freeware
typically does NOT get monthly updates!

My guess would be that the author(s) hacked it until it worked, made it
available somewhere and moved on to something more interesting.

Since it's freeware, the authors are not obligated to support or
maintain it.

IOW, if it's broke, you fix it!
From: Nemo ad Nusquam on
On 07/07/10 07:44 AM, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Adrian Davis wrote:
>> I'm having a problem finding recent versions of the CUPS binary
>> packages for Solaris 10 - The best I've found so far
>> (sunfreeware.com) is version 1.1.21 - which is very old.
>>
>> Can anybody help?
>>

> Why do you believe that there should be a more recent version? Freeware
> typically does NOT get monthly updates!

The current version is 1.4.4.

From http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L476+TFAQ+Q

"CUPS was written by Michael R Sweet, an owner of Easy Software Products. In
February of 2007 Apple Inc. hired Michael and acquired ownership the CUPS
source code."

From the CUPS homepage:

"Free binaries are available elsewhere - search Google to find them."

Their roadmap is here: http://www.cups.org/roadmap.php

#-)
From: Adrian Davis on
> Why do you believe that there should be a more recent version?  Freeware
>   typically does NOT get monthly updates!
>
> My guess would be that the author(s) hacked it until it worked, made it
> available somewhere and moved on to something more interesting.
>
> Since it's freeware, the authors are not obligated to support or
> maintain it.
>
> IOW, if it's broke, you fix it!

What!!

I didn't say it was "broke". And I'm not asking for support for the
application. I'm simply trying to save myself a lot of time and
effort. If a more recent binary version (CUPS is up to 1.4.4 at the
moment) is available I'll use it - Saves me the time downloading/
installing a compiler and building/installing from the source.

Regards,
=Adrian=

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2