From: Stefan Kuhr on
Hello everyone,

On 5/7/2010 4:56 AM, Hector Santos wrote:
> Pavel A. wrote:
> <snip>
> As "Forums Newsgroups," you can download the MS NNTP Bridge
>
> http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums
>
> that will allow you to continue to use your favorite desktop news reader
> to access the Microsoft Forums Newsgroups.
>
> It actually works pretty well. Not all the old newsgroup "names" are
> available in the MS forums. There is the kernel one:

Down anyone have more insight as to how the nntp bridge works with
regards to authenticating the user? I wonder how it deals with my live
ID user name and password and whether it is safe to use it with the same
live ID credentials that I use to access my technet plus subscription or
msdn subscriber downloads, or if this might reveal my credentials to
wiretappers. All information it exposes in its UI is that it obviously
accesses
http://social.microsoft.com/ForumsServicePreview/ForumsService.svc. Note
that this is an http URL, not https.

--
Stefan

From: Jochen Kalmbach [MVP] on
Hi Stefan!

> Down anyone have more insight as to how the nntp bridge works with
> regards to authenticating the user?

It uses the offical documented live ID SKD:
http://dev.live.com/liveid/

Here is a code sample:

IMHO it is very secure... and not

--
Greetings
Jochen

My blog about Win32 and .NET
http://blog.kalmbachnet.de/
From: Barb Bowman on
Forte Agent works just OK with the NNTP bridge but there is a problem with sync
as well.

On Fri, 07 May 2010 01:12:35 -0400, Lem <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote:

>I wouldn't go so far as to say that the nntp bridge "works pretty well."
>At least on T'Bird 2.x, the headers and bodies occasionally become
>unsynced and the unread message indicator is unreliable.
Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
From: Barb Bowman on
Most US ISPs no longer offer NNTP servers and for the most part, the ones that
are available are $ subscription based. The folks needing help will never FIND
the free servers that are out there so we would be talking amongst ourselves.

From: Hector Santos on
Yes, I did noticed that, and AFAICT, the REST requests are all HTTP.

Note: the correct url is:
http://services.social.microsoft.com/forumsServicePreview/ForumsService.svc

This is a primitive 3rd party program. The author seems to be new at
communications requirements. It uses the Live ID Framework Client
SDK for this.

And it comes with a C# example illustrating the authentication.

For me, since my live id account is a junk account anyway, I don't
worry about it - although they are beginning to force me to use it
more now.

--
HLS