From: David Kerber on
In article <4b8ca6de$0$5119$9a6e19ea(a)unlimited.newshosting.com>, jull43
@tampabay.rr.com says...

> Lots of things are always on that are not necessarily used. Look
for mysqld
> for example. These services are turned on for whatever your dozens of users
> might have in mind. These distros do not have home users in mind.

That philosophy makes sense for server software like mysql, ftpd, etc.
It doesn't make sense for bluetooth, which is tied to hardware and is
very short range even when the hardware is installed.

From: David Kerber on
In article <4b8df04a$0$4975$9a6e19ea(a)unlimited.newshosting.com>, jull43
@tampabay.rr.com says...

> On 03/02/2010 08:11 AM, David Kerber wrote:
> > In article<4b8ca6de$0$5119$9a6e19ea(a)unlimited.newshosting.com>, jull43
> > @tampabay.rr.com says...
> >> Lots of things are always on that are not necessarily used. Look
> > for mysqld
> >> for example. These services are turned on for whatever your dozens of users
> >> might have in mind. These distros do not have home users in mind.
>
> > That philosophy makes sense for server software like mysql, ftpd, etc.
> > It doesn't make sense for bluetooth, which is tied to hardware and is
> > very short range even when the hardware is installed.
>
> Please explain the sense of having a bluetooth driver loaded when bluetooth
> is not used.

None. That's what I've been trying to say...

From: Darren Salt on
[Followups trimmed]

I demand that David Kerber may or may not have written...

> In article <4b8ca6de$0$5119$9a6e19ea(a)unlimited.newshosting.com>, jull43
> @tampabay.rr.com says...
>> Lots of things are always on that are not necessarily used. Look for
>> mysqld for example. These services are turned on for whatever your dozens
>> of users might have in mind. These distros do not have home users in mind.

> That philosophy makes sense for server software like mysql, ftpd, etc. It
> doesn't make sense for bluetooth, which is tied to hardware and is very
> short range even when the hardware is installed.

OTOH, USB Bluetooth adapters are fairly easy to acquire, IME. I'm sure that
if the relevant packages weren't installed by default, we'd be seeing exactly
the opposite complaint from somebody else.

Anyway, my guess is that, in the case in question, installation of
recommended packages hasn't been disabled; and the Bluetooth packages have
been pulled in because of that.

--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + It's 1984.

Illiterate? Write for a free brochure!