From: Big_Al on
redGTO(a)noplace.com said this on 5/4/2010 2:58 AM:
> I just started using XP. I was using Windows 98. I want to check my
> drive to be sure it has no errors before I run Defrag. I have always
> been told to run Scandisk before Defrag. Well, I just tried and can
> not find scandisk. I tried to run it from START / RUN (and type in
> scandisk.exe). I did a search for any file called scandisk and it's
> just not there. This is a new installation of XP, so it was not
> removed by anyone. I'll just copy the one from my Windows 98
> computer, but I'm still wondering where the heck it went, or why it
> was not installed during the installation of XP.

Scandisk is replaced by chkdsk in XP. A few things got changed around
on the upgrade, welcome to at least the 21st century, you're only 2 OS's
back now.

Normally you type 'chkdsk C: /f' (to fix) Since you can't
lock the running C: because of the OS running, it will ask you if you
want to do it on the next boot. You reply yes and then reboot. It
will do it then.

type 'chkdsk /?' if you want the full info.

Oh, don't run this from the run prompt. type 'cmd' at the run
prompt to get a "dos prompt". Then do the chkdsk command. No
quotes too.

IIRC, you might also get this wish disk manager under control panel ->
administrative tools. Not sure but that would be my first bet.

From: David Webb on
You may also want to review the info found in the Help and Support section of
Win XP. Enter "scandisk" in the search box and you'll get three results. Click
on the "New ways to use tools" and it will present you with a list of MS-DOS
commands that have been changed and a list of those commands that are no longer
available. Scandisk is one of the latter.

--
Google is your friend.....

From: Bob F on
redGTO(a)noplace.com wrote:
> I just started using XP. I was using Windows 98. I want to check my
> drive to be sure it has no errors before I run Defrag. I have always
> been told to run Scandisk before Defrag. Well, I just tried and can
> not find scandisk. I tried to run it from START / RUN (and type in
> scandisk.exe). I did a search for any file called scandisk and it's
> just not there. This is a new installation of XP, so it was not
> removed by anyone. I'll just copy the one from my Windows 98
> computer, but I'm still wondering where the heck it went, or why it
> was not installed during the installation of XP.

I generally right click on the drive. Select properties, then tools, then check
now.

From: Bruce Chambers on
redGTO(a)noplace.com wrote:
> I just started using XP. I was using Windows 98. I want to check my
> drive to be sure it has no errors before I run Defrag. I have always
> been told to run Scandisk before Defrag. Well, I just tried and can
> not find scandisk. I tried to run it from START / RUN (and type in
> scandisk.exe). I did a search for any file called scandisk and it's
> just not there. This is a new installation of XP, so it was not
> removed by anyone. I'll just copy the one from my Windows 98
> computer, but I'm still wondering where the heck it went, or why it
> was not installed during the installation of XP.

WinXP does not have a program called "Scandisk," as this was a
Win9x/Me program. Instead, because WinXP is descended from the
WinNT/2K OS family, it has a command line utility called "Chkdsk,"
which performs much better.

Start > Run > Cmd > Chkdsk.exe /? for the correct syntax and
available options.

Alternatively, double-click My Computer > right-click the desired
hard drive > Properties > Tools > Error-checking/Check Now. This will
run Chkdsk, normally on the next reboot.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: almostbob on
batch/cmd file cleanup
--
@echo off
defrag c: -f

--
_ _
<redGTO(a)noplace.com> wrote in message
>I just started using XP. I was using Windows 98. I want to check my
> drive to be sure it has no errors before I run Defrag. I have always
> been told to run Scandisk before Defrag. Well, I just tried and can
> not find scandisk. I tried to run it from START / RUN (and type in
> scandisk.exe). I did a search for any file called scandisk and it's
> just not there. This is a new installation of XP, so it was not
> removed by anyone. I'll just copy the one from my Windows 98
> computer, but I'm still wondering where the heck it went, or why it
> was not installed during the installation of XP.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: MSCTF.dll was not found
Next: Deleting index.dat files