From: Svenn Are Bjerkem on
Hi,
Just got a question what to do if future needs fill up a Spartan-3A
DSP 3400 CS484. A very quick and unqualified look at Spartan-6 family
show a package called CSG484 with same physical dimensions as the
CS484. Hope to do as few changes on the PCB as possible. Since the
supply voltage is not the same, a drop-in replacement will not be
possible anyway, but I would like to keep the rewiring need low.
Anybody done this or thought of this who would share some impressions?

--
Svenn
From: austin on
Svenn,

The supply voltages are the same ... but the pinouts are different.

Austin

From: Andy Peters on
On Dec 3, 2:23 pm, Svenn Are Bjerkem <svenn.bjer...(a)googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
> Just got a question what to do if future needs fill up a Spartan-3A
> DSP 3400 CS484. A very quick and unqualified look at Spartan-6 family
> show a package called CSG484 with same physical dimensions as the
> CS484. Hope to do as few changes on the PCB as possible. Since the
> supply voltage is not the same, a drop-in replacement will not be
> possible anyway, but I would like to keep the rewiring need low.
> Anybody done this or thought of this who would share some impressions?

Xilinx doesn't believe in footprint-compatible parts.

-a
From: John Adair on
The CS484 package is nice but I believe it is some time off before it
is available for Spartan-6.

For layout plan for an entire rerouting of the design.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd.- Home of Merrick1 the High Performance Computing
Board.