From: whygee on
Hi,

HT-Lab wrote:
> Check out the Leon3 core (Sparc V8), although not in your favourite language it
> is very well supported (includes Linux).
> http://www.gaisler.com/cms/
it's a good but *big* core, it needs lost of gates and it's
not very speedy compared to the average soft cores.
So it's going to cost Rick's client too much,
an add-on module with an Atmel ARM9 would be faster and cheaper
to get on the field... but it's only my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_processor has a quite good list,
it is missing several like Hans' 8086 clone but otherwise worth a check.

Rick, please keep us informed about your choice and the reasons that
motivated it :-)

> Hans.
> www.ht-lab.com
yg
--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
From: Jon Beniston on
On 17 Apr, 17:03, whygee <y...(a)yg.yg> wrote:
> rickman wrote:
> > My customer was talking about running PC Linux on a CPU in an FPGA.  I
> > believe the one big requirement is that there has to be a MMU.  Which
> > of the three FPGA vendor's cores are available with a Linux supported
> > MMU?  I cores I know about from vendors are uBlaze, NIOS and LM32.  I
> > don't think Actel has one, they seem to be using ARM.  Then of course
> > there are the gazillion open source cores at all levels of functioning
> > and support, everything from commercial grade to "What, me worry?"
>
> > Which of these are practical for a commercial project?
>
> AFAIK, MICO32 seems to work

There isn't an MMU for Mico32.

Jon
From: Philipp Klaus Krause on
Am 17.04.2010 16:58, schrieb rickman:
> My customer was talking about running PC Linux on a CPU in an FPGA. I
> believe the one big requirement is that there has to be a MMU. Which
> of the three FPGA vendor's cores are available with a Linux supported
> MMU? I cores I know about from vendors are uBlaze, NIOS and LM32. I
> don't think Actel has one, they seem to be using ARM. Then of course
> there are the gazillion open source cores at all levels of functioning
> and support, everything from commercial grade to "What, me worry?"
>
> Which of these are practical for a commercial project?

The OpenRISC 1000 is a free architecture that can run Linux and has been
used in commercially ASICs and FPGAs. There is a GNU toolchain (i.e. gcc
port, etc).

Philipp

From: Martin Thompson on
rickman <gnuarm(a)gmail.com> writes:

> My customer was talking about running PC Linux on a CPU in an FPGA. I
> believe the one big requirement is that there has to be a MMU. Which
> of the three FPGA vendor's cores are available with a Linux supported
> MMU? I cores I know about from vendors are uBlaze, NIOS and LM32. I
> don't think Actel has one, they seem to be using ARM. Then of course
> there are the gazillion open source cores at all levels of functioning
> and support, everything from commercial grade to "What, me worry?"
>
> Which of these are practical for a commercial project?

Certainly Microblaze has an MMU suitable for full-blown Linux use, and
NIOS also does I believe.

Cheers,
Martin

--