From: Max Wachtel on
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 02:24:21 -0500, Jack <null(a)null.com> wrote:

> Avast v. 5.0.462, WinXP SP3
running W2K here.

> I currently only run the File System Shield which would seem to lay over
> and
> duplicate the Mail, Web, P2P and IM Shields but I am unsure if the
> Network
> and Behaviour Shields are similarly covered. Any good reason to start
> more
> Shields?

not that I am aware of but I have the behavior shield activated anyway.
Also using Privatefirewall 7.0 along with a hosts file so I did not
install the web or network shields.

> As an unrelated but welcome footnote v. 5.0 has a smaller commit
> footprint
> than v. 4.8 on this system, which is a refreshing trend. Developers very
> often seem unable to understand that a clean, light and simple tool that
> provides a specific and narrowly defined application well is still far
> more
> useful in program maturation than a coat hanger / toaster combo that
> tweets.

I agree with you
--
This post was created using Opera(a)USB: http://www.opera-usb.com
Virus Removal Instructions
From: Bad Boy Charlie on
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:47:39 +0100, FredW <fredw(a)blackholespam.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:12:26 -0600, Bad Boy Charlie <Legba(a)hotmail.com>
>wrote:

>>>Learn to cross-post:
>>>
>>< Self-appointed Usenet Policeman crapola snipped >
>>
>>"Officer..do you mind showing me your badge?"
>
>Don't be silly.
>Someone has to explain why multi-postying in many groups is not the best
>way to ask a question.

Well then why have you taken this timeless , pointless and never-ending
Usenet crusade for truth about cross-posting upon yourself ?

What's next..the inevitable top posting vs. bottom posting debate?
I should have top posted this just to watch you take the bait.

Ponder this my friend....if cross-posting was so wrong, evil and
ineffective..why oh why has it been in the NNTP protocol since day #1 ?

And supposing if it is now discovered to be a wrong thing..why do news
servers still happily cross post according to the users discretion ?

Little Charlie's Blues Pages
http://www.soundclick.com/LittleCharlie
From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Bad Boy Charlie wrote:

> FredW <fredw(a)blackholespam.net> wrote:
>> Someone has to explain why multi-postying in many groups is not the
>> best way to ask a question.
>
> Well then why have you taken this timeless , pointless and
> never-ending Usenet crusade for truth about cross-posting upon
> yourself ?

You've missed the point. Cross-posting (to relevant groups) is *far*
better than *multi*-posting to them.

"Learn to cross-post" is the expected response to one who multi-posts.

--
-bts
From: Char Jackson on
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:36:25 -0600, Bad Boy Charlie
<Legba(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:47:39 +0100, FredW <fredw(a)blackholespam.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:12:26 -0600, Bad Boy Charlie <Legba(a)hotmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>< Self-appointed Usenet Policeman crapola snipped >
>>>
>>>"Officer..do you mind showing me your badge?"
>>
>>Don't be silly.
>>Someone has to explain why multi-postying in many groups is not the best
>>way to ask a question.
>
>Well then why have you taken this timeless , pointless and never-ending
>Usenet crusade for truth about cross-posting upon yourself ?
>
>What's next..the inevitable top posting vs. bottom posting debate?
>I should have top posted this just to watch you take the bait.
>
>Ponder this my friend....if cross-posting was so wrong, evil and
>ineffective..why oh why has it been in the NNTP protocol since day #1 ?
>
>And supposing if it is now discovered to be a wrong thing..why do news
>servers still happily cross post according to the users discretion ?

Just to clarify, crossposting is good. Multiposting is bad.

Crossposting is posting a single message to multiple groups at once.
Multiposting is posting that same message multiple (separate) times.

From: Bad Boy Charlie on
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:57:00 +0100, FredW <fredw(a)blackholespam.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:36:25 -0600, Bad Boy Charlie <Legba(a)hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:47:39 +0100, FredW <fredw(a)blackholespam.net>
>>wrote:

>>>Don't be silly.
>>>Someone has to explain why multi-postying in many groups is not the best
>>>way to ask a question.
>>
>>Well then why have you taken this timeless , pointless and never-ending
>>Usenet crusade for truth about cross-posting upon yourself ?
>
>Oh, dear, another one of those: "There are no rules, because I say so".
>
>What "crusade"?
>A "crusade" of one message?
>Your fantasy makes you see things that are only in your mind.
> :-P

So is 100% of our so-called 'Reality'....only in your mind.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Ironic
Next: Call for papers: ISP-10, USA, July 2010