From: Axel Dahmen on
Yes, right, I am currently using these attributes, too. (Mainly because I
don't see no alternative to using them.) But they are not valid in XHTML
Frameset DTD. I'd like to create *valid* XHTML...

So, is there perhaps a lack in specification somewhere? Do the specs need to
be amended? Or is is possibly the browsers that are required to apply
border/margin to frameset/frame element?

Regards,
Axel Dahmen

------------------------------

From: Axel Dahmen on
Yepp, me as well.... I have just read Jukka's answer as well... And he's
completely right. I guess I have misinterpreted the error message I got from
my IDE. It told me that the frameborder attribute was not valid on a
frameset, which is correct. By mistake I mixed this error message up as if
frameborder wasn't allowed on a frame.

I'm sorry for that. Human mistake...

---------------------

From: Axel Dahmen on
>> I am currently updating one of my websites from old HTML 3.2 to HTML
>> 4.01.
>
> Why?

Why not?

>> As I can see, a couple of attributes have been deprecated in HTML 4.01
>> FRAMESET DTD (e.g. framespacing, border, frameborder).
>
> Frames weren’t in HTML 3.2 at all.

Yes, you are right. My mistake.

>> However, I
>> don't seem to be able to get rid of margins between adjacent frames
>> by CSS.
>
> Why does that bother you?

This again is just another of your rhetoric question, isn't it? Do you
occasionally provide a constructive answers as well? (Just a rhetoric
question)

Regards,
Axel Dahmen

From: Axel Dahmen on
Hi Ben,

thanks for your reply. Actually, yes, I _could_ use iframes. But I want to
stick with the frames I have been using for so long. There is no parent
content in the document. It purely consists of frame content.

Replacing it with a table of iframes would be possible. However, I look at
this problem from the standpoint of specification and implementation: If
these tags are specified, they should work as expected.

My question targets to probably either having a flaw in specification or
implementation.

Experimenting around I noticed that, even if I apply frameborder="0",
marginwidth="0", marginheight="0" attributes to all my frames, there is
still space between each of the frames displayed. The frames only are
displayed adjacently if I apply framespacing="0" frameborder="0" to the
frameset element, which is invalid XHTML.

Regards,
Axel Dahmen

-----------------

From: Jukka K. Korpela on
Axel Dahmen wrote:

>>> I am currently updating one of my websites from old HTML 3.2 to HTML
>>> 4.01.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Why not?

It's reasonable to expect that you have a reason for making some change,
instead of first asking why it should not be made.

>>> However, I
>>> don't seem to be able to get rid of margins between adjacent frames
>>> by CSS.
>>
>> Why does that bother you?
>
> This again is just another of your rhetoric question, isn't it?

No, it isn't.

Your refusal to answer my constructive questions does not make them
rhetoric.

If you want to use the techniques of mid-1990s that have widely been found
wanting and have been replaced by better approaches, it looks absurd to care
about not being "valid", i.e. not conforming to a formalized syntax
specification. But maybe you have some very special reason. In that case,
the answer still is that you cannot save your cake and eat it.

Oh well, you could always write your document without the "forbidden"
attributes and add some JavaScript that effectively adds them when the
document has been loaded. Of course, it would be pointless and less
reliable - and off-topic in this group.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/