From: Jonathan N. Little on
Axel Dahmen wrote:
>>> I am currently updating one of my websites from old HTML 3.2 to HTML
>>> 4.01.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Why not?

Jukka's questions are spot-on but a little terse.

If the site is legacy and works, why bother. If you are going to update,
why not update to modern standards than perpetuate old hacks. Frames
were a way to assemble a webpage when server-side technologies were
either non-existant or too pricey. That is not the case today, even free
hosting plans include server-side technologies like PHP.

Google "how to include one html file into another"

>>> As I can see, a couple of attributes have been deprecated in HTML 4.01
>>> FRAMESET DTD (e.g. framespacing, border, frameborder).
>>
>> Frames weren't in HTML 3.2 at all.
>
> Yes, you are right. My mistake.
>

>>> However, I
>>> don't seem to be able to get rid of margins between adjacent frames
>>> by CSS.
>>
>> Why does that bother you?

IIRC framespacing was a MS thing, the attributes are frameborder,
marginheight, and marginwidth. But again if you goal is to have a
cohesive page made from a composite then includes is the way to go and
then there are not link target issues.

<?php

include('header.php');
include('navbar.php');

/* page content */

include('footer.php');

?>

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: Jonathan N. Little on
Axel Dahmen wrote:

<top posting snip>

I'll give you another tip before you further tweak the ire of Jukka:

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=how+to+properly+quote+in+usenet>

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
From: Axel Dahmen on
Hi, Jon, here's another link about the same topic for you:
http://www.dashop.de/blog/en/usenet/content/Quoting-In-Newsgroups.html

From: Axel Dahmen on
> It's reasonable to expect that you have a reason for making some change,
> instead of first asking why it should not be made.

OK, well I gave my reason in my reply to Ben: Because these elements exist
(up to HTML5) and because they currently don't work as expected.

> If you want to use the techniques of mid-1990s that have widely been found
> wanting and have been replaced by better approaches, it looks absurd to
> care about not being "valid", i.e. not conforming to a formalized syntax
> specification.

Actually, I believe qualifying the other methods as "better" is quite
subjective. I regard the frameset approach as a very well designed
parent-child window relationship implementation. All the other approaches
would only try to reproduce this behaviour but, e.g., using an iframe is
semantically completely different from a frameset. An iframe is used for
inline content put anywhere *within* a document. But to re-gain the
intention of a frameset, an additional indirection of using a table
construct would be necessary, or even some out-of-band solution like CSS.
Both solutions are heuristic approaches when it comes to reproduce a
parent-child window relationship.

> Oh well, you could always write your document without the "forbidden"
> attributes and add some JavaScript that effectively adds them when the
> document has been loaded. Of course, it would be pointless and less
> reliable - and off-topic in this group.

Well, and it would be an out-of-band solution, as I wrote above. Currently I
*have* to use these "forbidden" attributes, because without them, a frameset
doesn't render correctly.

With this discussion I'm striving for an amendment on HTML5 to add these
attributes to the frameset element - if they are missing - or to CSS - if
they are missing there. Anyway, something is wrong. And I suppose it should
be fixed.

Take care,
Axel

From: Jonathan N. Little on
Axel Dahmen wrote:
> Hi, Jon, here's another link about the same topic for you:
> http://www.dashop.de/blog/en/usenet/content/Quoting-In-Newsgroups.html

Whatever, cannot say I did not warn you. BTW it's Jonathan

--
Take care,

Jonathan