From: tim1948 on
Although I use Samba only occasionally (on 8-STABLE i386), I note that
there are a number of candidates, and am wondering which would be the
best to use. Unfortunately, they all seem to have something in common:

xw4400# pkg_add -r samba34
Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-stable/Latest/samba34.tbz...
Done.
pkg_add: package 'samba34-3.4.5_1' conflicts with tdb-1.2.0
pkg_add: please use pkg_delete first to remove conflicting package(s)
or -f to force installation

Should I remove it? Or should I force installation? (At least two of
the earlier versions also report this conflict.)
From: Johan van Selst on
Once upon a newsgroup, tim1948 claimed:
> pkg_add: package 'samba34-3.4.5_1' conflicts with tdb-1.2.0
> pkg_add: please use pkg_delete first to remove conflicting package(s)
> or -f to force installation
>
> Should I remove it? Or should I force installation? (At least two of
> the earlier versions also report this conflict.)

If you don't use the tdb database anymore, then you should just remove
it before installing samba. A conflict generally indicates that both
ports write different files in the same place. A forced install of a
conflicting port often means that the old port will stop working. And
the new application breaks when you later upgrade the old port. Forcing
installation of conflicting ports is a bad idea and will lead software
breaking in interesting ways.

When you really need to have both ports installed, you can install one
of them in a separate tree, e.g. by setting PREFIX=/opt/samba

Ciao,
Johan
--
Why do we always come here - I guess we'll never know.
It's like a kind of torture to have to watch the show.